New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 99 v6 mtx with a hell of a lot of miles on it (lets just say i got more than you)....really. anyways, i am starting to encounter a lot of problems with my car. o2 sensors, imrc, dpfe sensors, etc. i want to get a new engine that not only will not come with so many problems, but also just give me a cat with a lot less miles. i just want to know what i should do. should i get a stock 2.5 and work with that, or is it possible to drop in a 2.5 svt engine in my cougar. please let me know. also if anyone knows how much they run for that would be helpful. thanks

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
first of all, SEARCH. Do your research before you ask other questions.

secondly, do all the work yourself. Definitly worth the time.

and lastly do go with a 3.0L ... you'll be much happier...

·
Registered
719 Posts
if you got the money get it sho engine at shoshop.com
240HP out of the box

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how much stuff do i need to do to get the 3.0 to fit in the car. motor mounts etc. i already fixed the problems with my car i just need less miles so i can keep the car. also can i get an estimate on the price of a 3.0

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you haven't already looked at the 3.0 section, do so. That category will be full of useful information, and your can start asking questions in that section too.

Also, click on search, type in 3.0 for the search, in title AND body, select all categories, and boom, your there. :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
99 coug- my car has alot of miles as well. same car too, it's a 99 mtx v6.... 90k or so on there now. I have not had any problems, so i'd wait on getting a lower mileage engine, unless you go with a 3.0
Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks mike, but i have 99,022 miles on my car. i dont know why but for some reason i just want a new engine. if i stick to a 2.5 should i just get one out of an svt??

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
99cooog, I see you got a few performance mods, so it looks like you're at least somewhat into performance. I go by this saying: "There's no replacement for displacement". If you plan on getting a new engine, I'd go as big of displacement as you can, and the 3.0 is a good choice because it will require very little alteration under the hood, it's practically a direct fit to the best of my knowledge, you can even keep your UIM and headers and all that (please correct me if I'm wrong! I'm not quite the engine guru I want to be yet! :) )

Definitely go with the 3.0 if you want a new engine. It's probably cheaper than the SVT 2.5 anyway!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts