New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching a car show today(cant remember the one, I watched too many this afternoon)and they had the mazda minivan with the duratec in it. Now I remember the old one had ours with 170horse and 165ft/lbs but this show said that the new ones had 200horse and 198ft/lbs. WTF? Is this the SVT engine? It looked totally different from ours! Any ideas, thoughts? Maybe a cheaper engine swap or parts interchangable that are cheaper that the SVT parts.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
don't really know anything about that mazda van, but i was reading that the new jag x-type is also gonna come with 2.5L and 3.0L engine options...they said the 2.5L also had 190+ hp...could these engines as well be variations of the duratec? or are they completely new ones?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
There's also the 3.0L Duratec which resides in the Excape and Tribute lil-SUVs. Don't know if that's the same powerplant, but it too makes around 200hp.

·
Registered
340 Posts
there are 2.5 and 3L duratecs. They 2.5 is standard with 170hp, 200 in SVT form, and the new Jag one has like 196. Then there is the 3L standard with 200, and the new Jag one with around 230 I think, correct me if I am wrong. The new Jag duratecs have variable cam timing to make more power and other trick parts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Lincoln LS has the trick timing 3.0L Duratec at 230HP
I wouldnt mind pulling the 3.0l out of the LS for my cougar

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
thanks bigcountry for the explanation, i knew something had to be different. as far as the cam timing is concerned, i don't really know much about it, but how much of it is a "hardware" (parts) issue, and how much of it is a "software" issue (like the engine computer and stuff).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actualy, the Lincoln LS has the Duratec V6 3.0 181 cu. in. with 210hp not 230 and a 3.9 V8 with 252hp. I was looking into buying one until I saw my wonderful cougar for half the price

·
Registered
340 Posts
It is a large mix of both Hardware and Software. It is something that would take a lot to add to our engines, and may not even fit. I don't know enough about engines to say exactly what you would have to change, but I am willing to bet the entire head assembly is different and the cams are probably differet too. Don't know, but if you ask around someone with more experience might know.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
You guys wont beleive this but most of the 3.0L duratecs are diffrent slightly...the taurus sable and escape share a identicle block. The LS has higher copression and a diffrent(slightly) bore and stroke. The X type is diffrent still I *THINK*. The LS engine has no advantages over a tuarus block... at least I dont think so. The Taurus is 88.9x80 and the LS is 89x79.5 Huh... Id like to look into the LS duratec a bit more. 210/6500 and 205/4750tq... thats nice! The taurus is listed at 200/5650 200/4400tq.... I dunno I guess... Ls is 10.5:1 and the Taurus 10:1... It would seem the tuarus block is better... comments?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.