New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm back in the US, I'll be wokring up a new dash cowl and center console. The cowl will be a little difficult, but I have the basic plan and design down. I'm by no means a Photoshop guru, but check this out:

God that looks terrible. The new cowl will replace the old exactly - it'll be built onto the OEM part. It will hold an AutoMeter ShiftLite as well as five 2-1/16" AutoMeter Lunar series gauges, including fuel pressure, oil pressure, vac/boost, pyrometer and air/fuel ratio. It will be fiberglassed, sanded and painted. Just like the stock cowl comes "up and over" the instrument cluster, this second cowl will do the same, sitting on top and slightly behind the lip of the stock cowl. It'll be easy to see without removing your eyes from the road. The tachometer will be relocated to the left rear corner of the cowl in its own fiberglass cup. I didn't really have a chance to Photoshop that, but maybe I'll try and tackle it later this week.

The other dash pieces - light controls, A/C & radio console and center console will be prepped and painted as well. They'll all be a smooth, glossy Laser Red Metallic to contrast the black & white interior and match the outside paint. I'd like to Photoshop the entire interior as I would like it to be, but as I said, I don't have the skill.

Actually, by the time I get that good at Photoshop, I'll probably be done with the real thing.

So, thoughts? Comments?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
St8LyRaVn -

I'm not a big fan of the SpiderMan crap in your car, but the execution and concept are original enough to outweight the fact that it's not really "my style." So, even though I might think it looks GAY, I'll give you props for trying somethign new, tell you it's not my way, but go for it, support a fellow NECO member in their efforts and credit you for finishing the project and making it look good. See how that works? You got it now?

Wait a minute... GAY, huh? I don't understand.

You mean GAY like not being able to really express how much you don't like the design?

GAY like you don't have anything constructive to say, such as, "Try mounting them in a custom center column instead?"

Or do you mean GAY like pressing the "Reply to Topic" button twice because you're so impatient that you can't WAIT to see your comments on the screen, resulting in the double-proclamation of your ideas? In case you missed the point, you posted the same stupid comment twice.

I'm sorry, that was kind of rude. But thanks for your opinion anyway. I'll make sure I send you a dash cowl for your car when I'm finished so you don't feel left out.

Ass. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Id say thats pretty sweet. The one thing I dont understand and never really have liked is the huge tachs. I mean if you really do drag race then I totally understand, but other then that, I think they are kinda big and gaudy. But the design you have is really nice I think! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I dont understand the TACH in the car now, except for the fact that the stock tach has alot of lag in it. The other thing is, your gonna need that MONSTER TACH and all those gauges with the turbo once its done.

S

·
0 Posts
no i ment gay as in it would have to be so high to clear the orig dash area that you wouldnt be able to see what is in front of you..and second of all....if you get offended by a comment enough to call as u put it a fellow neco member an azz dont post wanting to know what people think

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hey St8, you need to chill out. It wouldn't be up that high, and it would look a ton better than your spiderman crap. I like the design of the spiderman crap, but the fabric you used makes it look like just straight butt dude.

·
Registered
902 Posts
This board is for -constructive- critism. "GAY" is by no means constructive.

With that being said, I sorta like the idea.. but I think it would look kinda weird being stacked like that..
However, I don't have much of an imagination so I can't really visualize it. So, after it may look good but that all depends on how the execution is done.

I hope to see it finished though!

edit: I also don't like the big tach.. its ... its just really big and gawdy. And I usually only see them in real drag cars and ricers driving civics.. so in my mind, I relate it with ricers (I'm not saying you are one :) )

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
it has a lot of potential i think. as long as you make it flow good, and stay low and out of the way, i think it will look pimp.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I think the idea is good, and could look nice if done correctly. I know it's hard to explain what you really want it to look like, and that PS job doesn't do it justice. I bet it will look good when it's done.

You see, the main reason I like the idea, is because it is subtle. Subtle...as in the complete opposite of your moster tach....which, as my Grandmother would say, is gaudy.

I don't understand this whole desire to look like a modified import...with all the bells and whistles. There is absolutly no need for a tach that large...especially seeing as there is a stock one right in front of you. It looks tacky, gaudy, and very VERY overdone.

Duff that tach, continue working on your custom set up...and it will look nice in the end.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I'm glad I installed the tach on my car when I did. Now that I'm running a window switch for the nitrous setup...the factory tach isn't seeing enough of a signal. It now dances around like a crack addict.
As far as the gauge pod, I wonder what it would look like molded under the cowl instead of on top of it. It would block some of the speedo and the (now un-needed factory tach)
Either way...I like the idea....if you're in the mood to make 2 :)

S

·
0 Posts
leibler: as long as you'll be able to see around the guages etc, and you think it's a plan then go for it! your car, right? who cares what anyone else thinks :)

St8LyRaVn: fyi, 'gay' denotes happy or carefree, or in recent usage, a person of homosexual persuasion. Gay has no definition such as 'gay as in it would have to be so high to clear the orig dash area that you wouldnt be able to see what is in front of you'. Really, your usage of this term serves you no purpose except to make you look silly and uneducated. Along with the fact that NECO represents a diverse community of folk across north america and europe and elsewhere, with persons of diverse sexual preference.
In my opinion, using this term not only makes you look stupid, but also prejudiced. Would it be appropriate to make a derisive comment about a modification by making a racial slur? Would you go and tell him that it was for example MONGOLIAN as in it would have to be so high to clear the orig dash area that you wouldnt be able to see what is in front of you, for example. On this basis, why do you feel it necessary to criticize something by the use of a term for an alternate sexual preference than your own. Are you frightened of gay people? Most prejudice is rooted in fear. Being Gay has nothing to do with bad taste or things that you don't agree with. Thanks.

this is my 2 cents, as a straight female Canadian :biggrin:
I'm confident that all of Neco can be creative enough to comment on things without making a slur of this nature, regardless of whether this term is common for use in this manner or not.

Thanks.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
:bowdown:

I think more people, on here and in the world need to take that advice...

oh and by the way Anthea, that coment was SO mongolian of you :rofl: (heh, your right... it doesn't make sence :) )

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dude, if you can get that done, and have it fluently fit in like stock that would be so awsome.

Also would you be getting rid of the original guages? cuz you know.. an lcd screen down there would be sexy :p.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts