New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and from the Upstate NY area. A few months ago I brought a low miles 2000 Cougar, with a V6 and a 5 speed. I've been thinking about tweaking my suspension. One item that I have come across is a Rear Strut Tower Brace called ST200 I believe. It looks like a nice set up. Does anybody have one in their car or know of somebody who has one in their car? If so, how do you/they like it, and how did you go about having it installed? My overall plan is to make the car appear to be a Plain Jane Sleeper. Nothing from the outside that attracts too much attention but will prove itself on the track. Any help you can supply would be appreciated. Thanks :biggrin:

·
Registered
487 Posts
where in upstate are you located??

·
Premium Member
1,754 Posts
I love mine. But unless you already have it, good luck trying to find one!

If you do have one, the install is moderately difficult, not a 1 person job.

·
NECO Triathlete
969 Posts
Welcome to Empire NECO TravisCat :wave:

I've had mine installed for a while now (going on 2 years) and I love it.
Its been my favorite and most noticable suspension mod so far. Performance changes were extremely noticable.
I live downstate though, closer to NYC, no where near upstate NY.
Zman is right though, unless you have one already, its gonna be tough to get one. And when you do get one, its easily a two man job (wont take long if you have someone experienced in doing it at your side though) 4sFactor (from Keystone NECO) did and install in about 2+ hours at CF2K3, I think....

Anyway, I hope this helps! We'll be seeing you around, I hope! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Welcome to Empire Neco. Upstate NY is such a loosely used term... Everyone north of NYC seems to consider theirselves upstate, haha. If you live anywhere near Newburgh, you should think about coming to the meet on the 21st. That will let you see a few people's cars and actually get to see some parts in person. It gave me a chance to see some parts I didn't think I'd like, but cue's hood looks pretty good! Hope to meet you sometime, even though you do have an MTX :( haha.

-Pat- -ReToM7-

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'm located right in the middle of NY in Albany :grouphug:. I have the ST200 RSTB installed on my 2000 cougar also, and I absolutely LOVE it! By far one of the best mods for the $$ :thumbsup:. Just thought I'd put in my $.02

C-ya
~Amanda

·
Registered
487 Posts
is the rear strut bar as good of a mod as the front strut bar?? i'm picking up a fstb in 2 weeks, and kinda curious as to whether i should look into a rear too

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay as for where I'm from, I live in Greene County. I won't have a problem getting the ST200 because I have a connection in The Neatherlands and a friend of mine there tells me that for $100 he'll ship me one that he has found there. Since the Cougar is mostly by European design from what I have learned, I've asked a few of my friends over there to look around. My understanding is that the ST200 is actually a Ford part that was meant to go into production models but never made it. I have come across lots of supension add ons online that in my opinion are made cheaply or aren't as functional as they should be for the money. The ST200 looks like the best of both worlds. I am currently not driving this car, and actually trailered it home. It's in my garage where I have been going over it little by little. There are certain mods that I have in mind which I would like to do. I am in the planning process of looking for dead weight, and seeing how to make certain things fit and also be functional. There isn't a lot of room in the engine compartment, but not everything under the hood needs to be there. I have no plans for the body, like I mentioned before. When the car is seen I want people to think it's just another silver frost cougar and pay no mind to it. I'm looking for simularties between the Cougar and the SVT Contour for additional ideas. If anybody wants to throw their thoughts my way, I'm all ears.

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
Originally posted by: TravisCat
for $100 he'll ship me one that he has found there.
You might want to check out BAT Inc, since they sell that brace for $150 + about $30 S/H. I'm going to guess that beats his price and $100 more to ship it.

Oh yea, welcome to the club. Glad to see more MTX/performace guys around the area. As for performace - there's no replacement for displacement, so I'd suggest forgetting the SVT parts and going straight to the 3.0L forum. They are cheaper and much easier to find as well.

-Nick

·
Premium Member
1,815 Posts
Originally posted by: TravisCat
Okay as for where I'm from, I live in Greene County.
YEY! More people from the Albany area :) and another mtx :) welcome

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
Hey, I'm an MTX guy, I just havn't found one to replace my ATX yet :rofl:

I WISH I was an MTX guy, I am thinking about selling and looking for an MTX, but I doubt that's going to happen. Wishful thinking, that's all.

-Pat- -ReToM7-

1 - 16 of 16 Posts