New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know where to get performance parts for the 99-02 cougar im looking at getting the 02 xr 5 speed with the 2.5l i need to know everything up nad down i had a 99 before with the v6 also and loved it i wanna go with another cougar but this time i want to supercharge oor turbocharge it with a dual exhaust and all the supportings... please let me know what is possible for this car please!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New cuogar person and need help to find parts

have you searched? ;)

Did you see the buyers guide 9 topics down? There are over 7years of knowledge about what is 'possible' :)
no idk how to work this site yet either lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

OK nvm i found it... But what about superchargers how does that work i think by far thats the only things i cant find... cams??? Pistons?? cranks??? rods??? internals **** like that i dont wanna do the ricer thing and just throw boost at it and blow it up ive been through the blowing motors in my talon and i dont wanna do with a cougar

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts

no idk how to work this site yet either lol
heheh, thats okay... some long time members don't either :tongue:

See up at the top where it says "home" "gallery" "user CP" etc...... 3rd from the right is the search - click that,and a little menu will open. Just type in whatever your heard desires, and it will look for any topics containing those words :)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts

OK nvm i found it... But what about superchargers how does that work i think by far thats the only things i cant find... cams??? Pistons?? cranks??? rods??? internals **** like that i dont wanna do the ricer thing and just throw boost at it and blow it up ive been through the blowing motors in my talon and i dont wanna do with a cougar
I'm one of the last people on the forums who should be giving performance advice...lol (not much experience) So I wont say much, but I will tell you from reading- something worth looking into would be a 3L engine swap... those are getting to be pretty popular, and affordable for those serious about it. A few members (Topik, DanG) have even thrown forced induction ON TOP of that... insane people :tongue: :)

I think Vortech still makes a supercharger for the cougar... or they did (atomicinternet has it)

An LSD (quaife or torsen) should also be high on your list. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

yea i made sure i looked into an lsd now can anyone tell me difference between the 2.5 and the 3l (sorry newb question)

I want to get back into these but i actually want to build one from ground up so sorry for the dumb questions but its things i need to know

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

i think ill just stick with the 2.5, build it internally (pistons, rods, cams, valve springs, If possible) then throw a lil boost at it and see where that goes so lets start there

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Oh oh oh... i found a turbo kit for it now is it possible for a chipped ecu if it is then who does it cuz thtll be on my list also and that means bigger injectors right?

·
Banned
5,851 Posts

i think ill just stick with the 2.5, build it internally (pistons, rods, cams, valve springs, If possible) then throw a lil boost at it and see where that goes so lets start there
price wise that will more and likely be more expensive, for the price of new pistons for the 2.5 you could have a 3L engine from a junkyard and few other performance parts for the 3L, high compression pistons are around $800 or so plus the cost of rods, rod bearing and boreing for the pistons your prolly looking at over a grand. a 3L at a junkyard is around $500, and msds headers are $250, and you could have all the svt parts (cams, uim, lim, tb, injectors) for the price of the pistons, rods, rod bearings, and boring. Just something to look at and compare

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

price wise that will more and likely be more expensive, for the price of new pistons for the 2.5 you could have a 3L engine from a junkyard and few other performance parts for the 3L, high compression pistons are around $800 or so plus the cost of rods, rod bearing and boreing for the pistons your prolly looking at over a grand. a 3L at a junkyard is around $500, and msds headers are $250, and you could have all the svt parts (cams, uim, lim, tb, injectors) for the price of the pistons, rods, rod bearings, and boring. Just something to look at and compare
well the thing with me is i dont have recources for finding the motor ya know?

and i have all the money for the stuff

Another question!

i know its gonna be stupid as ever...

zeteck... is tht like vtec... the svt lobes (cams) do they change at the rpms?

:shrug:

·
Registered
3,028 Posts

please, please, please search. all your newbie questions are already answered. and i don't mean five years ago. start by reading the FAQ in each forum. checkout the Forced Induction forum for your turbo questions. checkout the 3.0L Performance forum for info on rods, pistons, cams, and such. checkout the Transmission forum for info on getting an LSD. then try searching. when you think you have mined this site for all it's worth, checkout the technical info over at CEG.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

nautilusperformance.com

And I'm not sure why boost = rice...

Take your time and read up, especially on the thread "project mavro gato" by Fastcougar. No, the ebay kits are not good.

Click on the link to the NECO cardomain group in my sig, there are about 20 or so links on there.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

nautilusperformance.com

And I'm not sure why boost = rice...

Take your time and read up, especially on the thread "project mavro gato" by Fastcougar. No, the ebay kits are not good.

Click on the link to the NECO cardomain group in my sig, there are about 20 or so links on there.

yea thats where i found the turbo kit i was looking at.. you can add a bigger turbo with that kit right? cuz the t3/t4 is too small for me

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

lol...talk about making something rice...

Whip them out guys...lets see who's got the biggest!:eek:

Searching is your friend...
how is a bigger turbo rice? i thought the wings and bodykits and neons were rice :gtfo:

I mean idc what other people say about the car i just want to know, Is it possible to throw a bigger turbo on that application if so please tell me if i would need diff. injectors ecu shipping and all the good stuff

·
Registered
4,342 Posts

Possible? Of course- Anything's possible with enough money & time.

Practical or even useable? Hell no. My old 3.0L T3/4 60 trim .82 A/R spun the wheels in the first 3 gears. Sure, it had over 400hp at the crank, but it was useless power.

This platform isn't capable of holding more than about 250fwhp without serious suspension modifications (traction bars, re-designed subframe & control arms, etc).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.