New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is SVTCuervo. If you haven't read the earlier post, I have been with Brullen in development of a cat-back for the cougar that will outperform and out "growl" all the others. We finished the jig and frame work last Firday. The Brüllen Cat-back exhaust system stands above the rest. Careful consideration was given in optimizing the system for flow, quality and ease of installation:

* 2.5" Mandrel bent tubing from the catalytic convertor to the rear y-split
* 2.25" from y-split to dual mufflers and rear exit
* 16 guauge heavy wall stainless steel construction
* Flanged bolt-on points (not slip connections like all other systems available for the Cougar)
* Fully welded mufflers
* Stainless steel tips - high polish mirror finish
* Limited Lifetime Manufactures Warranty

This system can be customized in a variety of ways. One choice is between "loud" and "quiet" mufflers. The quiet gives a slightly louder than stock growl during normal operations, however when you rip open the throttle the system lets loose a deep, rich sound. The sounds above all is what will make you fall in love with your car again. The loud system is a bit different. During normal acceleration it is noticeably louder but not annoying. However when you stretch your foot into the peddle the system roars to life and there isn't a head that didn't turn as you went down the road.

The system also offers you the choice of tip size and type. They types available are:

-Straight cut with a resonated tip
-9 degree cut with a resonated tip
-25 degree slash cut with a hollow tip
-DTM style hollow tip
-Quad tip with hollow

All the above are available in the 3inch, 3.5inch, and 4inch tip sizes.

Here are several pics of the Tips available:

DTM styel:

My car with 4 inch 9degree cuts resonated tips:

As for the power, here is the dyno graph. The before and after dyno were performed with exact same modifications consisting of a K&N drop-in filter, magnecor Wires, Bosch +4 spark plugs. The after run obviously included the Brullen exhaust. The design of the quiet and loud systems are identical so performance gains will be virtually identical for the two systems.

The graph shows and increase of 10.2 HP!!!!!!!!

Price for this system will be $600 US
That covers all tips sizes and types and the choice between quiet and loud.
Additional options and cost are as follows:

Polished mufflers (per set): $45US
Center Resonator: $45US

Sound clips and more pictures are comming very soon. The system can only be ordered through Ram-Motorsports. If you are interested or have any queston please call me (Joseph Ramirez) at Ram-Motorsports at 337-625-5641 or email me at [email protected].

Thanks

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
Better be some good stainless steel for that price...

My bassani was less than that, and power gains on the dyno were proven to be around the same and even higher...however it is a loud exhaust system.

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
AH! Hamill was talking to me about this the other night!!

seriously, i'm happy as hell with my current exhaust and wont switch (cause of money reasons) but damn, if i had a stock exhaust still......... :tongue:

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
my setup is from CTA Motorsports here in Canada :)

*discription*
2 1/2" stainless steel pipe, Magnaflow 14216 Mirror Finish muffler, dual resonators, stepped down to 2 1/4" stainless steel pipe, and dual 3 1/2" polished rolled stainless steel tips.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
Its always good to see a great new product on the market.

I am really likeing the Flanged connections for the piping> I can't tell you how much a pain in the ass slip on piping like on my TruBendZ Stainless Steel piping.

And I must say those tips on your Contour are HOT

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
I hope the system is available for a while. I'm real happy with my Brullen Y, Id really like to sell my trubendz to offset the cost for this, but I wont have enough bread to make up the rest for a good while. Id like to wait to see photos of it on a cougar first anyway...

off topic, can i get brullen to mail me a sticker you think? im putting vinyl names under my hood & id like a brullen one too. I DID buy their Y :thumbsup:

·
Registered
587 Posts
I agree that it is great to see new products, but one concern would be the weight of this exhaust. By adding flanges at every joint and the addition of a second muffler, this kit has to wiegh more than the others. BTW, my tru-bendz y-pipe and cat back are slip ons and I had no problems first installing the cat-back then a year later the y-pipe. Also I have never had one leak. :shrug:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I Know Brullen has done stickers in the past, however I'm not sure if they are still doing them.

As for the weight, I"ll have to have them weight the system for me. Also we are getting sound clips soon. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Being that system was set up on my cougar for fitment I can honestly say it will look sweet. One thing I like about this setup is that since the mufflers are tucked on both sides you can extend the tips where ever you want. Meaning, if you have a roush rear (like I do) you can adjust the tips without having to cut the hell out it (like I did with my quasi setup).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys we got a weight on the system. Since its a dual muffler system it will be around 50-52lbs. And since I"ll have the system on a car this week, I"ll be hosting pics and sound clips soon.

(Crap, I forgot to ask about the stickers, Monday ok)

Ram-Motorsports

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
...or you could do something totally unique and special for half the price. Not a bad setup but I still prefer my one of a kind look and sound and with a dyno that was above average for my car (as compared to similarly equiped cougars on the same dyno the same day) I am guessing it performs well too. I just cant see that kinda money for something as cheap and easy to make as a catback exhaust. Looks to be a quality item though so good work :)

oh, and
Meaning, if you have a roush rear (like I do) you can adjust the tips without having to cut the hell out it (like I did with my quasi setup).
that's exactly what this new system is actually. Not a true dual so youre not gaining anything in that respect ;)

·
Premium Member
6,085 Posts
Originally posted by: Sled
...or you could do something totally unique and special for half the price. Not a bad setup but I still prefer my one of a kind look and sound and with a dyno that was above average for my car (as compared to similarly equiped cougars on the same dyno the same day) I am guessing it performs well too. I just cant see that kinda money for something as cheap and easy to make as a catback exhaust. Looks to be a quality item though so good work :)

oh, and
Meaning, if you have a roush rear (like I do) you can adjust the tips without having to cut the hell out it (like I did with my quasi setup).
that's exactly what this new system is actually. Not a true dual so youre not gaining anything in that respect ;)

I realize that....IT WAS TEST FITTED ON MY CAR lol, the original idea WAS to try and make a true dual exhaust. HOWEVER, after looking at it, it, the cost was going to be far higher as you have alot of work to do off the cats and it would be hard to make the pipes both even lengths. Not to mention the bending involved, weight, and tight fit. Yes, it is possible, but from a production/duplication perspective not the greatest idea. Would you pay $1000+ dollars for a true dual? Because after talking to the guys at brullen, that would likely be a price. Remember, it's a company (reputable) and they make $$ aswell. On a one off custom made job with a welder you know you can likely get somthing like I have cheaper, but for people that don't have those resources, you buy a manufactured exhaust. I'm not undermining your post, but a company making a true dual for a cougar would likely not make a cheap price for the buyer. More material, more development, more difficulty....and possibly a limited demand.

I'll be honest with you, I'm likely buying this setup once I get the money. just because of a few reasons....

1) It's mandrel bent..mine is not
2) it looks a HELL of a lot better than mine right now as I have 6 places where the tips were cut off, then a new pipe added, then tips welded...ya de da de da...
3) I have no mufflers at the moment and would like one :)
4) I know it looks amazing on my car :)

EDIT: Remember that this kit also has choices, and includes 2 mufflers.

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
versatility is a big plus! options are good!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts