New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am sure a lot of you have other cars you love...and possibly have other cars your working on.

Here are my two projects! Summer drivers...

The first one is 1969 Austin Mini. It has a Chevy Sprint 3cyl turbo engine and 5 speed tranny, custom made front subframe, aftermarket sunroof, vw disc brakes all around, 13" vw rims, equuis guages, grant wheel, custom exhaust....and we are working on the interior..and of course paint will come!

And the second I take possession next week on but its a 1979 Austin Mini. It is a shell pretty much> I have the entire interior already for it. All original black vinyl and black carpeting. And it comes with the front subframe, suspension, and brakes...but no engine! Looking for a 1275 so I can bore it out! And again, tons of body work and paint! Good thing one can fit in the work shed, and the other in the downstairs workshop! lol.

Who else loves mini's???

And if you do...do you have any parts kicking around...:rofl:

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
those would be fun to have

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yeah...they are a blast! The turbo is very quick! And they are so light...I can actual pick up the back end and move it...lol.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have never seen one....I have seen a few Sprint/Swift turbo, Honda VTEC, and even seen one with a ford engine (2.3 Pinto I believe).It's a very small area (obviously) so whatever engine you put in has to be tiny to be able to keep the same front and firewall. Plus the classic mini engine has the transmission right on the bottom of the block..so there isnt too much room back there in terms of the body to stick on a tranny....

Wonder if it would be possible to stick a modern Mini engine in one of em...

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
My Dad loves minis, being a mechanic in Britain he had lots of experience working on them. He's own quite a few of them in his lifetime. I keep telling him to get one as a project since he's retired.

Hey Colin, have you ever been to the British Car show they have in Lyndsay Ontario every year? It's a pretty big show. All kinds of minis there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Dad loves minis, being a mechanic in Britain he had lots of experience working on them. He's own quite a few of them in his lifetime. I keep telling him to get one as a project since he's retired.

Hey Colin, have you ever been to the British Car show they have in Lyndsay Ontario every year? It's a pretty big show. All kinds of minis there.
Hahaha wow small world...my dad is Northern Irish and has quite a bit of experience with British Cars...he is stil kicking himself for selling his Mini Wagon years ago...lol

He has a 72 MG midget aswell...but its pretty much all restored (12 yrs later...lol) And now these two are my project cars!

I haven't been to the Lindsay show, but we go ever year to Ancaster...some beauties there for sure. Might have to hit up the Lindsay one next year...and will hopefully be showing one of those...

What time of year is the Lindsay show?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have seen a few Sprint/Swift turbo, Honda VTEC, and even seen one with a ford engine
sounds like a perfect place for a turbo'd ZETEC :evil:

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 79 looks like a rust bucket. Might just be the paint tho...
Hahaha...well the 69 was stored indoors so it is rust free...and anywhere it had rust we have replaced it! And believe it or not I actually picked that one up running and it was FREE off of a british car site.lol.

the 79 however is as rusty as you would expect from a 30 yr old daily driver! The floors are shot and the sills...so thats what your seeing. Luckily you can buy floor pans for $40 and it actually came with new sill pans....

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice cars dude! I got STOMPED like killed by this mini with loads of upgrades. The thing was loud as hell too. Pretty sweet car.
Was it new MINI or the old classic mini? I am guessing a new one...the beauty of both is they are a dream to corner in...

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Hahaha...well the 69 was stored indoors so it is rust free...and anywhere it had rust we have replaced it! And believe it or not I actually picked that one up running and it was FREE off of a british car site.lol.

the 79 however is as rusty as you would expect from a 30 yr old daily driver! The floors are shot and the sills...so thats what your seeing. Luckily you can buy floor pans for $40 and it actually came with new sill pans....
So the frame is all good?

·
Premium Member
21,035 Posts
Hahaha wow small world...my dad is Northern Irish and has quite a bit of experience with British Cars...he is stil kicking himself for selling his Mini Wagon years ago...lol

He has a 72 MG midget aswell...but its pretty much all restored (12 yrs later...lol) And now these two are my project cars!

I haven't been to the Lindsay show, but we go ever year to Ancaster...some beauties there for sure. Might have to hit up the Lindsay one next year...and will hopefully be showing one of those...

What time of year is the Lindsay show?
It is a small world, my Dad is from Northern Ireland to. Where abouts is he from, maybe we're related. :rofl:

The show is in July every year. The Brits in the Park is just a small part of a bigger show. They basically shut the town down and line the streets with classic muscle cars. It gets bigger every year. My Dad said this year was huge it took all day to walk around.

http://www.classicsonkent.com/

Lindsay & District Chamber of Commerce

1 - 20 of 32 Posts