New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my 3L today. Just wanted ideas of where to go with it.. I'm on a budget, only can spend about a grand outside of the actual swap... so what should I throw on ?

This is what I have so far:
Headers
Optimized Y-Pipe
2.5" Trubendz exhaust

Here is what I was thinking of getting:
DMD
Stage 1 clutch
CAI

Is there anything else I can squeeze in for about $1000 ?

Also can anyone give me site to order the DMD and Clutch from for a decent price ?

Thanks,
Chris

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm including the tune as part of the swap, so that is covered.

I don't have the time to do as much of the work myself as I'd like, so I can't really afford to build a hybrid, the cost in labor would kill me.

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can anyone comfirm if the 3L does have a DMD stock. Or are they marked in some way that I could look at it & tell.

Like I said, a new clutch is one of the things I'm planning on buying, but a LSD would blow my budget. While it would be nice, I doubt $1000 is enough for a new clutch, LSD, and getting it installed.

Is it seriously that big of a deal if I can't get a LSD until a few months after the 3L ?

· Premium Member
8,807 Posts
What is the 3L out of? I'm pretty sure all 01+ 3L have the DMD. Obviously, 98-00 3L from a Tuarus/Sable will have a completely different FEAD and different harmonic balancer.

· Registered
3,216 Posts
Is it seriously that big of a deal if I can't get a LSD until a few months after the 3L ?
You paying/doing twice the labour, why not just throw it in while the clutch is being replaced. I realize there is a budget and all, but....what good is a new 3L if your diff is shattered? None, then you have a 1000$ paperweight. Just my way of thinking... :tongue:

· Registered
828 Posts
If it's Taurus/Sable, it will not have a DMD. I've purchased several Sachs clutches from a seller on eBay, ltiparts. Search for "contour clutch" and you'll find him. Arthur's a nice guy, I've dealt with him on multiple occasions. The Sachs kit holds up well behind the 3L and has a very soft engagement. They come with new throwouts. They are much less expensive than the Spec stuff that everybody swears by.

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's Taurus/Sable, it will not have a DMD. I've purchased several Sachs clutches from a seller on eBay, ltiparts. Search for "contour clutch" and you'll find him. Arthur's a nice guy, I've dealt with him on multiple occasions. The Sachs kit holds up well behind the 3L and has a very soft engagement. They come with new throwouts. They are much less expensive than the Spec stuff that everybody swears by.
It is from a newer Taurus, thanks for the tip on a clutch.

So what would you all say is the "average" price for a LSD & getting it installed ?

Also with the clutch is a lightened flywheel a good idea, or is the stock one a decent weight for the car & I should just get it resurfaced ?

· Registered
828 Posts
Also with the clutch is a lightened flywheel a good idea, or is the stock one a decent weight for the car & I should just get it resurfaced ?
If it's not in the budget, I'd skip the lightened flywheel. Be sure to have the new pressure plate and flywheel balanced together.

Torsens cost ~$650 while Quaifes are about $100 more.

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it's not in the budget, I'd skip the lightened flywheel. Be sure to have the new pressure plate and flywheel balanced together.

Torsens cost ~$650 while Quaifes are about $100 more.
Ya, I think my budget is going to get adjusted... or I might just have to hold off on power for awhile, then get it retuned once I have all the parts I want.

Where can I get a Quaife ?

· Registered
3,048 Posts
Ya, I think my budget is going to get adjusted... or I might just have to hold off on power for awhile, then get it retuned once I have all the parts I want.

Where can I get a Quaife ?
Haines Motor Sports is the cheapest place to get a Quaife. Email Terry. Installing the LSD is charged as a "bench rebuild" by transmission shops. You will be charged the same for labor regardless of what you replace.

Lightweight flywheels don't work well on the 3L, but do get your flywheel resurfaced if you are installing a new clutch.

· Registered
699 Posts
mmm, actually if you go to 2.5 performance i have a list of the cheapest links to buy items... which includes the diff's.

Torsen you can get for around 575 - 600 pending where u live.

· Registered
828 Posts
Haines Motor Sports is the cheapest place to get a Quaife. Email Terry. Installing the LSD is charged as a "bench rebuild" by transmission shops. You will be charged the same for labor regardless of what you replace.
Terry Haines and HMS is the best place to get a TBD installed. (they are not LSD's)

Terry charges about $530 for the Torsen and $585 for the Quaife when he installs them. No transmission shop knows the MTX-75 like Terry does.

Based on what SlowCat has stated so far, I wouldn't consider this a DIY job with your experience. Get this done by a professional and know that it's done right. If something is wrong after you DIY, it will only cost you more money in the long run.

Lightweight flywheels don't work well on the 3L, but do get your flywheel resurfaced if you are installing a new clutch.
I have one on mine. It's 9lbs. Works great. I had the Fidanza and Sachs balanced together. It picks up and drops revs quick, which is what I wanted for road racing. For everyday driving, it's probably a bit light and requires more slip on the clutch pulling away from a stop. The Sachs handles this nicely though with it's smooth and light engagement.

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am getting a new clutch (Sachs) and will most likely have the tranny sent to HMS once the engine comes out. I would like to do it myself, and believe with the transmission out I could, but when I consider chance of messing up & having to get it rebuilt I'd rather just pay to get it done right. Same reason I'm having a shop do the swap & tune, I have neither the time nor experience to do it myself, esp. if I make a mistake.

My budget has expanded quite a bit, but the install is getting pushed back to near the end of the year as a result. As it stands now I'm looking at 2000-2500 for engine & tranny work. But at least I might finally enjoy driving my car lol

· Registered
6,421 Posts
is it going to be a full 3l swap then? nothing svt. the svt clutch i thought holds up quite well with a 3L. terry is the man he rebuilt my trans and also added some goodies to it also. a xcal2 and a prp will be something that u might want to consider for tuning

· Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, it will be a full 3L with a couple of twists ... though no SVT parts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.