New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 2002 Cougar for my son and I to tinker on and teach him to drive a manual ( Getting hard to find).

The car had been sitting due to needing a clutch master cylinder. The car will start and run fine when the starter solenoid under the dash is jumped. The car also has a switch under the dash with wires that runs over toward the radio. Maybe a home made alarm / kill switch? Not sure whats over there. The Really just want to make the car start with a key and I'm pretty frustrated at this point as the wiring near the key looks like it has not been altered...

Andy ideas on what to try? Are grounds that important, and would it explain every else seemly working as it should? should I start pulling the dash apart to trace the wires from the mystery switch? ( Is anything near the radio?)

PS- Any links out there to the FSM or wiring diagrams?

Thanks,

Will

·
Registered
96 Posts
Interesting. Is the key an actual Mercury key? Not sure what years are "chipped" but I know the 02 is because I checked on getting a duplicate.

·
8,504 Posts
What happens when you turn the key to start?

·
5,241 Posts
AFAIK, all years are chipped keys. What does the PATS light do when trying to start with the key? Is it a 'stock' Mercury key? If not, possibly remote starter, or aftermarket alarm? When you jump the starter solenoid, is the key in the ignition? (I don't think the car will start even with solenoid jumped if PATS isn't getting the right signal from the key's chip.)

·
Administrator
24,304 Posts
Exactly, Mark - the car will crank like crazy but never start if there is a PATS issue. So the fact that he can get the car running and driving rules out a PATS issue.

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
If your jumping to the starter and it works, that would indicate a bad battery cable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would check the clutch switch wiring.
So I replaced some missing starter diodes and the car cranks when I check at the clutch switch with a test light. I thought I was getting close but now I also seem to have a bad gas / fuel pump issue. Frustrating... I started a new thread for that as I think its a separate issue. ( Update on 2002 2.5 MXT Cougar: Now dealing with Fuel...)

Any thoughts? / Advice? Seems like a step forward and three back....

Thanks

Will

1 - 8 of 8 Posts