New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just came across this lil news link on yahoo a few minutes ago and thought this was really neat. but like the article said, there's a LOT of bad points of this lil toy.

link

i wonder how much trouble you can get into with one of those?? like you know, what could you get ticketed with?

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
These have been around for a long time.... WHen I was in school I used to have a schematic for one, but can't remember where I put it........

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I've never seen a light turn for a cop or firetruck or any emergency vehicle. They just go slowly through the intersection and don't stop for no one. Besides, how can they prove that you changed the light? hehe

Mike

·
Um...
3,283 Posts
Around Chicago... there is usually a white light mounted on the pole the red lights are mounted on, its small and most of the time you don't notice it. But when an emergency vehicle is approaching the red light, the light begins to flash... and in about two seconds... lights very obviously change to let the approaching emergency vehicle through.

So, to answer the question of how would they know... its very easy to tell it was done... the hard part would be to tell by which vehicle since there could be several vehicles making it through the light.

My opinion on this is that while it is a neat toy... it is very dangerous... and it should have the stiffest penalties if caught using it... Just imagine if everyone had one... you'd never make it through a light... just about the time your light turned green... its immediately would turn red again so some jackass could save 60 seconds and not have to wait at a light in the other direction.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Originally posted by: Loyalty
These have been around for a long time.... WHen I was in school I used to have a schematic for one, but can't remember where I put it........
see if you can find it :)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
this is very close (if it actually isnt) to be a discussion about an ILLEGAL topic.

i'll leave it for the link to be read, but lets not discuss actually making this OK? (Chris :disgust: ) :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
Originally posted by: Pinhy
this is very close (if it actually isnt) to be a discussion about an ILLEGAL topic.

i'll leave it for the link to be read, but lets not discuss actually making this OK? (Chris :disgust: ) :biggrin:
Sounds good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
320 Posts
Probably some of these Traffic light switchers might be desired by volunteer firefighters, EMT's, off duty cops called into emergency duty, where may be legit use. Penalties for use would be like that of radar jammers.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dangerous o_O... But cool.

Too bad I like stop lights, so i can show off my cars pick up :-d

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Originally posted by: joemamaTypeR
Anyone who uses one of these things deserves to get nailed by someone running the redlight they just switched.
yea well I want one. Chicks whould DIg it :)

EDIT: my talking radar just isnt enough anymore :crazy:

G

·
Originally posted by: Zalec
Originally posted by: joemamaTypeR
Anyone who uses one of these things deserves to get nailed by someone running the redlight they just switched.
yea well I want one. Chicks whould DIg it :)

EDIT: my talking radar just isnt enough anymore :crazy:

Ahhhh to be 15 again!

:rofl:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
THey have been upgrading lights in my area but these new lights use microphones and they "hear" where the EMS vehicle is coming from and adjsut the light accodingly. Actually the more I think about it I think it turns all the signals red to stop all traffic.

·
Registered
335 Posts
The lights are called "Opticons" very cool and handy for cops/firefighters running hot. It's basically just a strobe light that sets them off. Not all areas have them, but Phantom is right, you can tell if a traffic light has them because there is a little thing on top of the pole that turns white when activated, and then hopefully turns off and puts the lights back to normal (which isn't always the case). Anyone besides police/fire using these are just plain lazy stupid and careless, you can really cause some major traffic problems with these, believe me, we get many complaints when they are being used properly.

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I seen these before I actually knew what it was, I thought it was pretty cool that they could do that. Never knew, I only thought they went through real slow. One time the ambulance used this and the light was red for like 5 secs and a van came plowing through nearly hitting the ambulance, luckily the amb. saw the guy. Only thing is no one chased him, cuz there was no cops around.

These things are stupid, we need some order in our lives. If not, well than, if you don't like it go to afghan.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
In Rockford, those lights are all over the place... When they go off though, there is a bright light on it that flashes to warn people of the approaching vehicle. It would get you busted in 2 seconds flat if you tried to use them for your own benefit. Everyone would know the light was being tampered with.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts