New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Pull needles off. Make sure you have a full tank of gas.

To recalibrate (start car in diagnostics mode first!):

1. Simply place the fuel at the full mark.
2. Scroll through the diagnostics until you hit RPMs, then place the needle at that value.
3. Let the car run 20 minutes or so, place the temperature needle in the middle.
4. Go for a drive, hold a constant speed (you will be able to view a speed on the diagnostics) - cruise control? And place the speedometer needle.

·
Registered
911 Posts
01 is right. In order to go into diagnostic mode you have to hold down the reset and unit buttons on your trip computer(you know where you change the clock at) and then put your key in the ignition and start your car up while still holding the butttons. Then let go after you have started up and wala you are in diagnostic mode. Just as he said, fill the car up and put the needle at full, then press select and you on your trip computer and it will flip through different things on your screen. The one with the #'s in the thousands is your tachometer, while another one of the screens is your speedometer, which you will be able to figure that screen out when you start driving. As said be fore , get on a straight stretch of highway with little traffic and put you cruise control on and then put your needle back on at that speed and you are set to go. By the time you are done doing all of this you should be able to put your temp needle just a hair under the dead center of the gauge and that is everything. My only other advice is:

#1: Have a friend go with you when you are on the instertate, so you can keep on driving while they install the speed needle. I did it all by myself, which you can do, but lets just say it makes it alot more interesting and gets a lot of people mad at you as you swerve all over the road. It actually only takes a few seconds to put on, but I kept pulling mine back off, because I wanted it to match perfectly with the # on my screen.

#2: Make sure not to push the needles down to much or they will get "caught" on the gauges"

#3: Do not put the plastic that goes over the gauges back on for a few days, because you might have to or want to make little adjustments here and there, to make them as accurate as possible. For example: When my screen was showing I still had 70 miles left on my car my needle was on empty. So I let my car get down to 10 miles left on it(which you shouldn't do on a continual basis because it wears out your spark plugs), and then pulled the needle back off and put it at empty. Ever since then it has been right on the money

Hope this helps

Jamie

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
whatever happened to the classic "watching the needles go to 150mph and 8000RPMS and back down again" ?

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.