New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i might be wrong and it's ok if i am but i think this is ridiculous.

last night my wife and i are coming from a friends house. it's about 10:40pm and we're just driving along talking. well it's about 2 and a half miles, maybe more, from my friends house to a stoplight. i'm turning left and the light turns red so i stop, duh. an suv had pulled out about a 1/4 mile back and followed me to the light. he was going straight. well the light went through it's cycle and now turns green. still talking to my wife i pull through, my arrow is green. i make the turn and all of a sudden a car comes outta now where and he turns his lights on. both of us kinda look back, confused as to what just happened. so i pull over, very curious to see what i actually did. well, he tells me that he clocked me @ 56 in a 40 and it TOOK HIM A WHILE TO CATCH UP TO ME?!?.............i have to pause, cause i just can't take it....................my first thought was, well s#$t man you need to sit down?....are you ok Barny? of course, he asked me why i was going that fast. i said, well.........i was just heading home:shrug:......well, he took my info and reduced it to 49 in a 40......how stupid is that. i've never had a ticket and my record is clean. my wife thought he was a real [email protected]#$ and just laughed about it. me........i didn't think it was to funny.

now i got a 10 dollar ticket and a 100 dollar freakin court cost to file the little piece of paper. you know i always thought that if i got a ticket in my cougar, i'd at least be doing something dumber than 56 in a 40. i bet i really got it for my exhaust, it is loud and noticable............ok, i think i'm done venting.

M

·
Registered
167 Posts
man don't feel bad it happens to the best of us . About a year ago I got pulled over because my headlight was out or at least thats the reason he gave me as he requeted i step out of my vehicle and ask if i have any drugs in my car and so on well he decideds he want to search my vehicle . I spent an hour on the side of the road while he search my car and then when he didn't find anything he requested a drug dog come out by the time all was said and done I spent almost three hoours on the side of the road and had to pick up the crap he pulled out of my car like my stereo system he yanked out and my spare that ended up in a half full ditch . sometimes i wonder if cops go to a special school to learn how to be pricks.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
why would a cop just start ripping your car apart like that? I'd suspect he'd need a warrant or a very VERY good reason to do so. As for you speedy gonzalez, you're lucky he reduced it. Most cops don't bother you if you're doin' 5-10 over the limit...15-25 is where they usually get ya. I'd rather pay the money anyway than get the points, and I have. I reduced a 4 point offense to 0 points by paying a little over $400 in court. better to get it done in one shot than having to pay that much more everytime the insurance bill comes.

Mike

·
Registered
558 Posts
Originally posted by: needforspeed
man don't feel bad it happens to the best of us . About a year ago I got pulled over because my headlight was out or at least thats the reason he gave me as he requeted i step out of my vehicle and ask if i have any drugs in my car and so on well he decideds he want to search my vehicle . I spent an hour on the side of the road while he search my car and then when he didn't find anything he requested a drug dog come out by the time all was said and done I spent almost three hoours on the side of the road and had to pick up the crap he pulled out of my car like my stereo system he yanked out and my spare that ended up in a half full ditch . sometimes i wonder if cops go to a special school to learn how to be pricks.

i hope u did something about that to get the cop in trouble, thats :bs:

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats exactly what i was thinking guys. he has no right to start pulling s#@t out of your car unless you give him permission.....it doesn't sound like you did. i think they should screen some of these ppl who join the force. i don't know if they are pricks before, probably are, but they are pricks with power. i'm all for paying the ticket but do they have to be @-holes about it? just kindly had over the ticket and walk away, it's that simple:)

M

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide
why would a cop just start ripping your car apart like that? I'd suspect he'd need a warrant or a very VERY good reason to do so. As for you speedy gonzalez, you're lucky he reduced it. Most cops don't bother you if you're doin' 5-10 over the limit...15-25 is where they usually get ya. I'd rather pay the money anyway than get the points, and I have. I reduced a 4 point offense to 0 points by paying a little over $400 in court. better to get it done in one shot than having to pay that much more everytime the insurance bill comes.

Mike

North Carolina speed laws are a lot different than many other states. You should see what they can do to you if they catch you doing 15 over the limit on a freeway. :)

Required Suspension for operating a motor vehicle (1) >15 MPH over the speed limit and also driving >55 MPH or (2) >80 MPH-30 days(6) §20-16.1(a) Note: A longer license suspension is authorized if other provisions of law so provide. §20-16.1

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by: NorCalCoug
Originally posted by: 99CouGSweetRide

Mike

North Carolina speed laws are a lot different than many other states. You should see what they can do to you if they catch you doing 15 over the limit on a freeway. :)

Required Suspension for operating a motor vehicle (1) >15 MPH over the speed limit and also driving >55 MPH or (2) >80 MPH-30 days(6) §20-16.1(a) Note: A longer license suspension is authorized if other provisions of law so provide. §20-16.1

you are correct, lol. but it also depends on what county/city your in as well. if i had been in Greensboro, where i live, i wouldn't have been pulled. but since i was in high point i got pulled. thanks to the news and radio they'll pull you for anything.....they were made fun of a couple of months ago. both the news and radio talked about it and it was true and so funny but now everyone's getting pulled. i saw a red cougar yesterday that got pulled on the same stretch of road.

M

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by: MagicHallucinations
. i think they should screen some of these ppl who join the force. i don't know if they are pricks before, probably are, but they are pricks with power.
M

They do screen but not as well as they should. I've known a couple guys that were cops and only one of them should have been a cop. The others liked to use the fact they were cops to get away with all kinds of crap. Either using it to get themselves out of tickets or to bully people. In fact a friend of mine went to a Bachelor party with a bunch of cops, they ended up beating up the bouncers at a stripclub, after starting the fight. When the onduty officers showed up they just let them go. My other friends thought it was a funny story til I asked what if I had been the bouncer working that night? In fact the worst person I had to deal with while bouncing at a local Goth club was a drunk offduty cop.

I've heard you don't have to let them search you car. They have to have probable cause to do it. Of course I've also heard if you say no, they can use that as probable cause. :banghead:

Don't get me wrong there are good cops. I just don't know many.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by: BigDaddyTiberiusI've heard you don't have to let them search you car. They have to have probable cause to do it. Of course I've also heard if you say no, they can use that as probable cause. :banghead:

In order to search someone's car the cop has to either have probable cause, consent, or a search warrant. Telling the cop that they don't have permission to search your car is not probable cause. I'm assuming that needforspeed either gave them permission or they felt they had probable cause. If that's not the case and they didn't have a warrant then needforspeed could take them to court. Even if he was arrested they can only do an inventory search when they impounded the car. Unless the drug sniffing dog picked up a scent, there was no reason for them to ever pull his system apart.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
yeah, but cooperating with an officer can get you out of a ticket.. If he pulls you over for speeding, and asks if he could search your car, and you say no, you sure as hell won't be getting a warning..

Although, that really shouldnh't give him the right to rip apart your car. That can be thought of as vandalism. He probably ripped apart your car, because he knows that you modify it, so you know how to access every single part of the car, like inside the dashboard, behind a radio, behind the door panel, so he decided to check places that he could access without tools. And when he couldn't find anything, he figured it was in some place that needed tools to access, so he asked for the dog..

If you give consent to search your car, can you deny it in the middle of a search? I know they passed a rape law with something similar to that recently... if you're in the middle of a sexual act, and the other person decides that they are non-consentual, you must cease immediately.. sorry, I figured I'd throw that tidbit in there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think I should say something about now . This was a small town cop with nothing else better to do than to harass me . The reason he gave for searching the vehicle was I looked stone and therefore he assumed I had some stash . At that point I did smart off a bit but it was only because I get tired of being accused of looking stoned . So the cop took it to the extreme because of his A$$holish nature and the pure fact that he was a prick . Anyways I offered that story to let MagicHallucinations know he wasn't the only one that has bad luck with the cops. So let us go on with damn the luck and hope he can take defensive driving to get the ticket dismissed.

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah, i'm certainly going to invest in some sort of radar detection.........any thoughts? also talked to a lawyer and he said that it will go on your record in you mail in a check. plus he said the whole thing sounds like :bs: it shouldn't have taken the cop that long to catch up.

M

·
Buyer Beware
6,575 Posts
For 9mph or under, the ticket will not show on your insurance unless you get another ticket. (only if this is your 1st ticket)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: Aries I know they passed a rape law with something similar to that recently... if you're in the middle of a sexual act, and the other person decides that they are non-consentual, you must cease immediately.. sorry, I figured I'd throw that tidbit in there.

Now that I am aware of this, Aries... Even though I said yes to begin with, I now no longer consent. Please cease immediately.
:rofl:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
On the way to CF in North Carolina me and a couple of other members were going 110 in a 55 (interstate) ... very glad we didnt get pulled..

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Actually, 110 in a 55 in North Carolina can and will get you jailtime. :) 1-6 months I believe, along with a fine...

·
Ur one.....
6,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by: GrandMasterKhan
For 9mph or under, the ticket will not show on your insurance unless you get another ticket. (only if this is your 1st ticket)

i've been told by a lawyer than if you mail in a check for the ticket, you are pleading guilty and it will go on your record, add points, and insurance. they say it doesn't but you can't trust them, they'll say anything. another guy i know just mailed in a check for it, not wanting to bother with it, and his insurance went up.

either way i think it's just better that it not show up..................just to be safe. besides, he was a real prick and i don't want to contribute to his paycheck, lmao!

M

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
The valentine's are the best radar out there but expensive, but also worth it. I have a mag where they rate them, i think whistler was next in line.

You have you give the cop permission like they said, or have probable cause, or a warrant. Than again if you say no they can make you wait there till they get a warrant. Cops are d*cks. All of em, they're just bullies.

·
El Mucho Post Whoro
12,140 Posts
Excessive Speeding is a Class 2 Misdemeanor.(3) §20-141(j1)
And under terms of imprisonment for violations:

Class 2 Misdemeanor-1 to 60 days(4) §15A-1340.23(c)(2)
And let's not forget about license revocation:

IV. Suspension for driving >80 MPH on a highway with a posted speed limit of 70 MPH-Not more than 1 year §20-19(c)
And mandatory suspension:

Required Suspension for operating a motor vehicle (1) >15 MPH over the speed limit and also driving >55 MPH or (2) >80 MPH-30 days(6) §20-16.1

And since it's a class II misdemeanor, even if you've had NO priors:

For Class 2 Misdemeanors, if the offender has had no prior convictions, the incarceration period is from 1 to 30 days.
Don't speed in NC. ;)

Thankfully in California:
All Law Speed Violations are Infractions. Veh. Code §§22351, 40000.1 & 42001(a)
But that doesn't mean if you drive fast and reckless they can't toss you in the klink for a little bit as a misdemeanor for a combination of unsafe lane changes, reckless driving, and speeding. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts