New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been trying to find a new trunk lid weather seal but I cant find it anywhere, so I would like to have some help looking for one. I also need some help because I have to change my power steering line from the reservoir to wherever it goes and I need to know what I am looking for, also is there a way to loosen the ebrake cable from the center console area and tighten it by the drum brakes? Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
No way you're finding a new trunk seal; you'll have to junkyard that. eBay is an option, or Facebook Marketplace. You can also post a Want To Buy post right here on this forum.

Here's your power steering diagram, with part numbers.

As for the parking brake - it's self-adjusting inside the handle mechanism. What are you hoping to accomplish by doing what you describe?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As for the parking brake - it's self-adjusting inside the handle mechanism. What are you hoping to accomplish by doing what you describe?
The parking brake is hard to lift and it doesnt provide a lot of stopping power, according to my dad, who owned the vehicle before me, it was always like that.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
Probably cables are worn out. You can take them loose at the wheel and try sliding them by hand

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
They can rust inside the sheathing which creates those symptoms.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,673 Posts
If you take the cables loose from the rear wheel, you should be able to slide them very easily inside the sheath, by hand. If they are hard to move, they need to be replaced.

Replacement cables are not costly at RockAuto, and not terribly difficult to replace.The job requires you to remove the exhaust hangers and let the exhaust pipe and muffler droop down, then you have to remove a heat shield ahead of the fuel tank, and then everything will be easily accessible.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
The one issue with replacements from rock auto is that I've bought sets that were dry rotted and the sheathing was crumbling, so even if you buy stuff and let it sit "till you get around to it" always check any rubber products you buy right away.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you take the cables loose from the rear wheel, you should be able to slide them very easily inside the sheath, by hand. If they are hard to move, they need to be replaced.

Replacement cables are not costly at RockAuto, and not terribly difficult to replace.The job requires you to remove the exhaust hangers and let the exhaust pipe and muffler droop down, then you have to remove a heat shield ahead of the fuel tank, and then everything will be easily accessible.
What do you mean by slide inside the sheath? Sorry.

·
5,296 Posts
What do you mean by slide inside the sheath? Sorry.
Much like a bicycle's brake caliper cable, the parking brake cables are wire cables inside an outer shell or sheath. The wire cable should slide back and forth within the outer shell pretty easily.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts