New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I was curious about the jerking when started and the transmission not engaging after the engine gets hot. Well, I put the ODB-II machine since the CEL was on and the car pulled 5 codes. I will list them in order.

1. P0302 = Cylinder 2 misfire detected.

2. P1744 = Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit performance.

3. P0401 = Exhaust gas recirculation flow insuficient detected.

4. P1714 = Shift solenoid A inductive signature.

5. P1715 = Shift solenoid B inductive signature.

Now, I am thinking that the highlited faults could be because of the IMRC. I read that when the car acts like that, it could be a bad IMRC so I ran some tests I found in the internet on it and according to the test parameters, if it was out of .5 to .8 volts, the IMRC was bad. Mine was reading some ridiculous numbers and I assume that the IMRC is shot.

My real question is, If I replace the IMRC, which I need to know how to if that's the case, would I be able to at least get some mobility out of the vehicle enough to get it to the stealership? Guru's, please help a frustrated guy. All this started to happen after I replaced the radiator and the IACV.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts
Re: need some help before i decide to get raped by Ford

The highlighted faults are due to a dying transmission. Not even CLOSE to ANYTHING about an IMRC. A bad IMRC would register codes P1516 to P1519.

Replacing a radiator could cause transmission issues, as the transmission cooling lines do intersect.

You might get off easy if you catch it early.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

you were right b3nn3tt, my car is sitting at AAMCO waiting on the kit to rebuild the transmission. The damn thing was tore up. Ran too long on a bad radiator and the heat made a lot of damage, so they say.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts

Man, I'm sorry. Well, at least it's getting fixed! Let us know how it goes.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts
The misfire code is 99% certainly due to spark plugs and wires that need to be replaced.

Glad the tranny is back!

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. I figured that wires and spark plugs had something to do with it, but I'm reading right now and it could be the dist cap also, so I'm going to start with the spark plugs and work my way in. Hopefully it will clear with the plugs, this car is draining my pockets :banghead:

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,704 Posts
Well, we don't have a distributor on these engines. Our ignition uses a computer-controlled solid-state Coil Pack in place of a distributor.

Coil packs have been known to fail, but it's rare. Plugs and wires get baked all the time.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, we don't have a distributor on these engines. Our ignition uses a computer-controlled solid-state Coil Pack in place of a distributor.

Coil packs have been known to fail, but it's rare. Plugs and wires get baked all the time.
That's what I meant, I thought dist cap was close to what I was trying to say. I just didn't remember at that moment.

Well, I replaced the spark plugs and it's still lit, no flashing. I'm going to get the codes again to see if the misfire disappeared. I had another one that was:

P0401 = Exhaust gas recirculation flow insuficient detected.

So I'm thinking that's got something to do with the hesitation. No rough idle anymore, it left with the old spark plugs but I'll be sure when I get the codes. Thanks for your help.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had to take a break from the car. Too frustrated to deal with it. After all that time I tried to fix some of the problems. After the transmission was fixed i was left with two codes. So I replaced the spark plugs and wires and the misfire went from P0302 to P0301. :confused: And I still have the P0401 code. The next thing I'm trying is to move the wires around to see if the misfire moves and replace them if needed. They only have about three weeks on the car. Any ideas of what the P0401 could be?

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's been a while since I updated this. So I replaced the DPFE and the coil pack but still have the P0401 code. The car runs good, just a little miss here and there, nothing constant. I love the car now. I drive it more than my Subie and my wife gets mad cause she thinks I'm just trying to use her gas, mind this, I pay for her gas, she doesn't work, LOL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.