New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone new the air space needed for the 12" Audiobahn Flame Compression 1500 subs. I tried looking a little and failed. And I have not received them yet and I would like to get the box made before they arive so I can hook it all up when they get here. Also I have never made a box with plexi on the back I would like to see some pics of how you attached the plexi to the box. I was thinking just pre drilling the holes for screws then sealing it all with silicone. I already bought the plexi and it wasnt cheap so no turning back now any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Matt

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
these subs have to be ported...jut so you know...but here are the specs on them..tech page for flame compression subs this didnt link direct to the parameter site so you have to click on techsupport at bottom of the page and then click 2003, then click 2003 box parameters then click flame compression it is a PFD file so it takes a second to load..there are several porting option fo rthis sub but NO sealed ones..

i tried to paste it here but it got all mixed up...

for plexiglass most panels are bolted on with a silicon seal...there are these things you can buy at any hardware store that are threaded with built in staples (or two really sharp prongs) that when you pre drill the holes you can put these things on the inside of the box and hammer them into the holes, and then from the front you can put a bolt through them as you tihghten the bolt it pulls the staples into the wood more...same way i mounted my sub to the baffle...no screws nice thick bolts...well 3/16" anyway..that way when and if you ever undo the bolts you dont have to worry about nuts falling off or loosening..

it wouldnt be a bad idea to use some nice rubber washers so the bolts dont cut into or scratch the plexi...and a continous bead of silicone on the outer edge (ie under the plexi but to the outside of the bolts) would be a very good idea too.if not silicone then some sort of compressable rubber that will forma nd air tight seal once bolted down..

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Originally posted by: crazyoldcougar<br.if not silicone then some sort of compressable rubber that will forma nd air tight seal once bolted down..

The 1/4" foam strips that go around door's to seal out air works well. Its in the home door threashold section of the local home improvement store. 2.00$ for a roll.
Its in comparison to the type of surround foam that some speakers come with which has an adhesive backing.

By the way thats an excellent diagram of how to properly bolt the plexi to the box-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts