New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2001 cougar 4cly 5 speed and it has been having a shake It is really noticeable on a flat road but on back roads you can barely feel it if at all,I recently put new a-arms, ball joints, struts, sway bars, brakes and rotors all the bushings on both fronts.new transmission fluid, aftermarket rims with 1”in spacers with brand new tires and balanced with alignment and it still seems to shake. I checked the wheel bearings they seem good. I haven’t messed with the rears drums yet.

Could anyone point me in the right direction as to what could make my car shake?? Any help at all would be appreciated.. I have been trying to hunt the problem down since I bought it.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,672 Posts
Rotate tires and see if that changes anything. Outer tie rods can cause that if they are bad, too.

Reactions: Jessy

·
Registered
145 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but seeing as you used 1" spacers, do the wheels fit the car properly? I've seen similar when borrowing the rims from a different vehicle in a pinch just to move a car because the hub was the wrong size. Obviously the offset can be compensated for with spacers, but if the hub is too big you will also need shims or you risk ripping the lugs out. (Fun fact: Jeep rims will fit on a Lincoln Continental if you have two bad tires from a pothole!)

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Nice wheels! That will be a great looking car once the bumper is fixed.
Try removing the spacers to eliminate that as the problem.
Did you replace the strut mounts and bearings along with the struts?

Reactions: Jessy

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you all for your input. I had to use spacers to put the wheels on because my bolt pattern is different but I might try putting the old wheels back on and see if it solves the shake. I replaced the strut mounts and bearing the only thing that is the same is the coil. I also changed the tie rods I. The process of all this work I forgot to mention. I will definitely be taking a look at my spacers and see if they fit right.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I don't know what you have into that set already, but Enkei is pretty good about things like custom bores etc on a lot of models if you're willing to wait for the next batch. You may be able to call them up and have a set made to spec if you're willing to wait. I had to do that with mine but they fit exactly how I wanted. Just food for thought as they look good, and Enkei is a quality product.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE.... I rotated my tires checked everything over again tried my old rims and tires to see if the spacers were the issue nothing changed. Well... I had my buddy watch the engine while i was stopping and going in his driveway.. come to find out it’s the motor mount on the drivers side that’s gone bad, which was causing my shake this whole time.

Are motor mounts hard to replace? Or how much do you think a shop will charge to do it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
UPDATE.... I rotated my tires checked everything over again tried my old rims and tires to see if the spacers were the issue nothing changed. Well... I had my buddy watch the engine while i was stopping and going in his driveway.. come to find out it’s the motor mount on the drivers side that’s gone bad, which was causing my shake this whole time.

Are motor mounts hard to replace? Or how much do you think a shop will charge to do it?
Can you take a picture of the motor mount you're talking about? if it's the one that's mounted to the transmission, then that's pretty straight forward to replace, you'll just need to move some stuff out of the way like the battery, battery holder, and intake...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you take a picture of the motor mount you're talking about? if it's the one that's mounted to the transmission, then that's pretty straight forward to replace, you'll just need to move some stuff out of the way like the battery, battery holder, and intake...
That is the one I’m gonna replace sometime soon. I took a closer look at it and it’s pretty blown out.. the previous owner I bought it from did not take care of it I’ve done a lot of work to this car since I’ve bought it and it seems to be one thing after another I keep finding haha.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts