New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am removing the uim and ran into a problem. what has to come off in order for it to come off. there is only 1 thing that i can see that will not come off. it looks to be attached to a 1 inch pipe that has a ufo looking thing on top with a vacum hose on it. it has 2 10mm bolts that dont seem to wanna come off. what has to come off to remove the uim?
what r u guys using to clean the butterflies and uim with. any pics would be off great help

i used the search feature and found nothing on this topic

·
Registered
815 Posts
I cant help you on pics at the moment, should have taken some when I did this over the weekend. Ok, what I believe you are refering to is the EGR valve, which has to be removed, i believe it has a green? vacuum hose coming out of it, remove the 2 bolts, and remove any gasket residue, throwing away the old gasket. On re-assembly get a new one. You need to take out the 6 bolts out of the UIM, the 2 vacuum lines, remove all the intake tubes, and electrical connectors, I believe there are 3. Now, just lift of the intake. After that, remove, and discard the UIM to lower gaskets, and replace them when you re-assemble. Ok, now the torque specs for the intake bolts are as follows, the 6 bolts from upper to lower 10 Nm, the EGR bolts (2) are torqed to 25 Nm, and the throttle bracket is just a light 3.5 Nm. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN ANYTHING, its all aluminum, and can easily be damaged, nothing needs to be that tight. If you over tighten the UIM bolts, it could possibly pull the heads up (unlikely) and now you have to do a head gasket job. Hope this helps, and sorry, I cant spell to save my life.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Almost forgot, it is easiest to clean the lower with it out of the car. I used several spray cans of throttle body cleaner that I got at a local parts store, it supposedly will not damage the finish on the aluminum. I sprayed the parts, and then used an old toothbrush, q-tips, and a lot of hard work to get all of the carbon buildup off. At this stage have a couple beers, well, i suppose if your of age anyway. it makes the time go quicker and less tedious. just make sure your not half lit when you put everything back togeather, unless you are good at remembering stuff when your drunk.. Im not. Well, I hope you can get something out of all my rambling, hope it goes well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanx for the reply. u must of been readin my mind about the beer. i did have several of them.
i got it all off and did not brake anything!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Great to hear everything worked out for ya, that beer sure comes in handy huh?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
How many gaskets have to be replaced when removing the UIM and LIM? I plan on cleaning them both soon, and I want to have everything I need.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and how long does it usually take? Will a twelver be enough?:biggrin::beer:;)

·
Registered
815 Posts
Ok, you will need the TB gasket. a gasket for the EGR. the gaskets (there are 2) for the upper to lower, they come in the same package. And the gaskets for the lower to the heads, there are two of these, and they come packaged seperatly, make sure you get both, the parts counder seems to like to forget to give you the other lower one, the part numbers are the same though, so just get 2. The total cost was $22 and some odd change for everything wehn I got them all. Add another $7 or so if you need to pick up the quick disconect tool for the fuel lines, you will never get them off without it, you can get that at pep boys, autozone, etc.. Took me about 5 hours total work time including cleaning, and I was taking my sweet time, and painted the upper Ford blue while i was at it. Yep, a 12 pack would do the job well.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
You really probably dont need the upper to lower and lower to head gaskets- I bought new ones, and old were fine; Many people re-use them, so unless they are damaged I'd save the$. Then again, they are pretty cheap...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts