New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hours of looking threw forums i found some info but not all that i wanted. And because looking threw 20+ pages of replies is to daunting ill ask for help. I have a 01 Zn cougar not sure if i should just keep it or go with an engine swap. From what i've seen 01 dont have alot to choose from when it comes to svt parts. Any ideas of what engine's work best or can i get more out of my 2.5l. My goal is around 250-275hp from the 2.5l. Is that to much to ask for?? If it is from past experiences what engine would work best. I'm a man who enjoys a loud motor:biggrin: and sorry if this post is in the wrong place im a newbie

·
Administrator
15,530 Posts
If you want that type of power out of a 2.5 OR a 3.0, you'll need some sort of forced induction. Nitrous is the best bang for the buck as far as that goes.

You read wrong about the SVT stuff. You can add any of the SVT parts to your car's engine.

The only other choice for an engine is a 3.0 Duratec.

If your 2.5 is running fine, I'd start by adding some bolt on modifications (all of which can be transferred over to the 3.0 if you decide to do that down the line).

Cold air intake system, SVT lite upgrade (read SVT stickie at the top of this section), headers/y-pipe, catback exhaust, and definitely some suspension mods. The car will never be fast, but you can make it more fun.

By the way, if it's an ATX, just stop now.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
All the SVT parts will swap onto your 01 2.5 engine with out a problem.

The stock 2.5 engine is 170HP.....SVT parts.....intake....header....exhaust will not get you the 250-275 you're looking for.....

But, all of the above listed parts will make a BIG difference....

Do you have stick or an auto tranny?

The biggest question to answer.....What do you want out of this car and why?

You're answer to that will give everyone here the best road map to answer your questions and guide you to the right places for those answers.

·
Administrator
15,530 Posts
dang the atx thing ruined my day
Mod your suspension so you have some fun around corners and call it a day. You can spend a lot of money and make it a little bit faster, but it will never, ever be fast. The MTX's aren't fast...the ATX just has the odds stacked against it due to drivetrain loss and being a weak transaxle to start with.

Oh, and add the biggest transmission cooler you can fit if you plan on driving aggressively at all.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
So, it is an ATX?

Oh, no! Well, that's okay. If you're willing to soup your engine up nearly over a 100hp then swapping a MTX in there shouldn't be out of the question. While you have it apart you could update the synchros, install a Torsen LSD, an SVT clutch and a light-weight flywheel.

BOOM. Instant 20+ WHP right there. ATX's only put down roughly 125-130WHP. A MTX generally does about 145 give or take, I think.

·
Premium Member
1,600 Posts
You could still put an intake on your car and perhaps an SVT manifold....look cool and give you a little bit of gain........

---and give your engine a little growl to it......

....you could also look into a Cat-Back exhaust system if you're looking for an agressive sound......

·
Premium Member
22,086 Posts
After hours of looking threw forums i found some info but not all that i wanted. And because looking threw 20+ pages of replies is to daunting ill ask for help. I have a 01 Zn cougar not sure if i should just keep it or go with an engine swap. From what i've seen 01 dont have alot to choose from when it comes to svt parts. Any ideas of what engine's work best or can i get more out of my 2.5l. My goal is around 250-275hp from the 2.5l. Is that to much to ask for?? If it is from past experiences what engine would work best. I'm a man who enjoys a loud motor:biggrin: and sorry if this post is in the wrong place im a newbie
Send me $600 and I will send you 75 HP.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i have an atx, and im putting a svt contour motor in it :naughty: lol..

i had a manual tranny too, but noo! i picked it up and it had a big hole in it! :mad:

i thought about just super'n it up while my engine was out ya know? but 99% chance i wont. lol.. i need suspension done, i highly recommend it.. get an intake if you want a better sound.. ;)

i use K&N and i love the engine sound, i has no pwoblem

·
Registered
752 Posts
The MTX swap sounds like a plan but whats the labor involved with doing that?
if a proffesional does it = 1 grand easy...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts