New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when it comes to wiring, i have no experience or know how to do anything. I got some indiglo gauges off ebay, but i have no clue on how to wire it. So they have been sitting with me for over a year. I need a how to for retards on wiring up these gauges.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
easy stuff..get a 12v tester (like $3 at radio shack)

Use it to test the wires on the switch you use to turn on the headlights.. find out which wire gets 12v when the parking light is turned on... then tap the positive wire of the gauges to that wire...

look under the dashboard and see if you can find a screw that is screwed into bare metal.. you will connect the ground wire(black) of the gauges to this screw... Just unscrew it, wrap the wire around underneath the head of the screw, and tighten it again.. make sure that the wire is touching bare metal.. Turn on your headlights, and watch your gauges glow!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok... thats great and all, but how do you get the wire in with the other wires, and why r there so many female inlets, when there is only one male. HOW DO I TELL WHICH IS GETTING 12 VOLTS.... sorry guys wiring for me is a mystery

·
Registered
674 Posts
.....ok, well I'm not sure what you mean by female and male inlets, but to connect the wires to your headlight switch....the easiest way is to go to radio shack and buy some "wire tap in's" (sorry couldn't find a link) but they are in the parts boxes in the bottom drawer of the connectors (I think I also saw them in the headlight section of wal-mart), get 18-22 gauge. I'll take apart part of my dash tomorrow to see what color the wire is to tap into. Basically you put it on the wire, then put the end of your gauge wire into it and squeeze with pliers...

HOW DO I TELL WHICH IS GETTING 12 VOLTS
Well, probably all of them are getting 12 volts, so the real question is which one has power when the lights are on......I'll find out tomorrow

·
Registered
674 Posts
I suppose I shoulda read that how to before posting but it says in it
Tapped the Red wire with Blue Stripe(off the back of the headlight switch) for the 12V hot lead And Tapped the Black Ground off the light on the headlight switch
Here's what you need at radio shack Linky

Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.