New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to add a led in there. So im hoping theres a quick how to for this. Im more intersted in where people put the led. Meaning how did you secure it to the switch. The other switches have the plastic part that holds the led in place.

Thanks

Dont tell me to search. Everything returns an error or i get 0 results. even when i'm searching for something I wrote.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
There's no light in that switch I don't believe, or if there is you can't do anything with it. I don't remember what the problem was, but I remember dropping the switch out to replace the led and I couldn't for some reason. I think the best thing to do is to get a passenger side window switch and put it up there. I believe the harnesses are the same.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i know you can because there is a how-to for it. I just cant find it because search on NECO isn't working properly right now. Thanks though.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Seth, there is a how-to for it, but I believe it involves putting the window switch in place of the sunroof switch. I could be wrong though. I know you can't just pop it out and put in an led though, but I can't remember why.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ugh.. i hope not.. or ebay here i come :/

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
The how-to I remember was for making the sunroof switch light on all the time, which involved putting the window switch in there so you could use an led. I don't know about just changing the color of the light, but I did try to do it when I did the rest of my lights, and I took the switch out and just put it back in because there wasn't a way to do it. It was a long time ago though, and I can't remember what the problem was.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Seth, I don't know if you got this how-to, but here it is:

Lighted Sunroof Switch Mod HOWTO

Author: Jim Scheirer (DoctorClaw)
Date: 1/3/03

This covers the modification of the sunroof switch so that it will be lit while the car's power is on or running. Although multiple methods can be used to create the switch, using the Passenger Side Window Switch is the preferred method since the only change is removing a couple of plastic tabs and and reversing the LED. I highly recommend getting the switch needed from a junk yard for around $10 where it will cost you around $50 to buy it new. If you are sure of a junkyard that might have them, car-part.com is a great place to start.

Supplies Needed

Passenger Side Window Switch Part # F8RZ-14529-KA (Highly Preferred)
or Driver's Side Passenger Window Switch Part # F8RZ-14529-KC (Parts Required to modify Sunroof Switch for Advanced People Only)
D79 Connector & 1 ft. long wire (18 awg???) Or Wire With Very Small Blade End
Small Flathead Screwdriver
Torx Screwdriver / Drill-Bit size T-20
Quick Splice Connector (18-22 awg) if you don't like splicing
Electrical Tape for Neatness
Scissors or Razor Blade
15 or 30 Watt Soldering Iron
Light or Medium Solder w/ Rosin Core
Small Wire Clippers
Pinpoint Tweezers or Large Baby Pin
Instructions

First removal the interior light panel using a small flathead screwdriver.

Once removed pop out sunroof switch by pushing from inside until the switch and harness come out completely.

Remove switch from harness.

Modify Passenger Side Window Switch to replace the sunroof switch. If you don't have passenger switch handy, but you have a driver's side passenger window switch, it is possible to modify the sunroof switch. The diagrams below will show images for both, but I will only include directions in this howto for the passenger side switch. Due to the difficulty, if you wish to modify the sunroof switch and can't figure it out from the pictures (fig 1), feel free to pm or email me for instructions.

Remove the plastic tabs on the inside and outside of the passenger switch. (fig 1) Some people recommend using a hot knife or you can use a dremel or wire clippers on the outside one & a dremel or a sharp knife (use a rocking motion & apply pressure) for the inside one.

Reverse the direction of the LED, this includes the Resistor, since pins 2 (Ground) & 4 (Power to LED) are reversed in the sunroof switch. If you plan on changing the color of the led now is time to do it. I used a 5mm led instead, hence the larger led size. If you don't know how to change the led color, you can read the led color-change howto.

Unscrew the two screws holding in the overhead console using a Torx-20 Screwdriver.

Locate the lead wire going to the C100 Connector. The color of the wire is either purple/black or green/black depending on the year of your car. Mine was green/black (2002) and my friends 99 was (purple/black). Note: I did not use the power wire for the auxiliary warning display console due to it is not overload protected whereas the lead wire going to the C100 connector is overload protected.

Follow from wire back to the middle of the overhead console to where it splits off with the other harnesses and remove the electrical tape around the the pair to expose the lead wire you'll be using.

Connect the wire with the D79 Clip (can be ordered through Bill Jenkins) to the lead wire using a quick splice connector or by splicing it. I highly recommend using the quick splice connector. Note: It is not necessary to use a D79 Clip, you could directly solder a wire to pin 4 or your can find a wire with a blade that fits on the small pin.

Using a Pin or Sharp-Tipped Tweeters, press in the tabs on each side of the harness and push up the remove the center clip of the harness. If you are not using a D79 Connector, this is not necessary.

Insert the D79 connector into the 4th Pin Slot of the harness.

Once in place insert the center piece back into the harness to lock the connector in place.

Place the switch onto the connector and turn on the car. If you cup your hands around the switch, you should see it lit up. If the switch lights up, remove the switch, screw back in the center console, reconnect the switch and interior light panel.

Sit back, have a beer and admire your work!!!

That seems like a royal pain in the butt. I think the problem was that the switch itself has that green crap in it, like the HVAC controls, and then there is just a bulb back there lighting it. So even if you changed the bulb or put an led in it's place it would still be green because of the backing. That's why you have to use the other switch. You could easily secure and wire in an led, but I'm not sure how to get rid of the green color without a different switch.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its a starting point.. thanks!

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
No problem...that's the best I could do. I don't know why I couldn't change the color exactly, I just remember pulling the switch out and putting it right back in because I couldn't do anything with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Originally posted by: scrupul0us
just look at the how to for LED swapping the switches... its the same procedure... good pics too
I am guessing you mean this thread. I checked it out, and is of some help, but it has no reference to actually swapping a sunroof switch for a window switch. I'm not even that concerned about the LED stuff, I just need to know how to get a passanger window switch to work in place of a sunroof switch, as the sunroof switch just stopped working!

Regards,
-Joshua

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.