New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can tell me where there is a how to for this install or explain how to do it, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, would it be better to use neons or led's? All information is needed even the sizes for the neons/led's. Just to let you all know, I have not done anything electrical to my car except the led conversion for the door switches, so I am no expert on this sort of thing.

Thanks,
Erika

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Here's a quick how-to, as this is very straightforward:

1. Remove dash (how-tos on here, CougarDB, and TeamNECO)
2. Drill hole in the bottom of the vent cowl to 'fit' LED into (for all three on the cowl).
3. Reach up inside your glovebox (you may want to remove it first) and you'll feel a plastic hose. This can be moved away from the vent in order to gain access to it. You'll find it easier to simply place the LED inside the far right vent with some double-sided tape than by removing a whole ton of stuff.
4. Wire the positive to a power source, the grounds to any ground on the vehicle. You may want to split the positive line through a switch to allow for the LEDs to be turned on and off. Resistor based LED installs are listed in the A/E section a number of times.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
LEDs may be a bit brighter, but 3" neons are easier to install and no permanent damage is done. I've had my neons held in my vents with velcro and some electrical tape and even with the A/C or heater on for a year now and they still never fell off. I just mounted the two transistors (one under the passenger dash, one under the driver dash) and hooked up the two leftmost neons to the pass. dash one, and the two rightmost neons under the driver dash one. all the wires were routed under the dash cowl.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.