New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I am wanting to do is use the "turn a dead button into a functional one" how-to, so I can turn on my LCD. The problem is that the only way to turn on my LCD right now is through the remote control. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience in hard wiring a remote control to a switch?

I am thinkin that the power button presses onto a sensor and makes continuity, which sends out a RF to turn on the screen. If I was able to find the contact point and jumper it out to test it, would I be able to solder leads on to the circuit board? I have done much soldering, but never on a c-board. From the c-board the leads would go to a momentary switch, which will be one of my functional dead buttons. Has something like this been done by anyone? Or am I the guinnea pig out on my own? I would like to complete this mod for the LCD and also a dvd player. The dvd player will be much easier since it has a power button located on the unit itself.

Any help/advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

JEC

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
You could do this - or built a small circuit that sends out the same signal to turn on the screen. Without opening up the remote to see how the button is relayed (it could be a metal tab that is depressed to send the signal, or a smaller switch under it, or even two leads that are bridged; you won't know what you're working with. My advice is to at least take a look at the remote, maybe post a picture, and then it will be easier to give advice :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took apart the remote this morning and snapped a couple of shots. It appears that it is the sensor type, which is what I was afraid of. I don't see how this project can work, unless I can fab up a circuit as you were speaking of. But I have no idea how. I have never worked with RF before.

The yellow dots represent where the power button would be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts