New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rear quarter panel on the driverside is starting to bubble from rust im assuming, behind the paint. so I took my splash gaurd off and looked up inside there and it must be between the wheel well metal and the paint, where i cant get to it. anyone know how to fix this or how to keep it from getting worse? cuz everytime i look at it, it seems to be getting worse. the bottom bubble is getting pretty big! :(

This is from behind:

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sand off as much rust as you can, then paint the underneath with rust stuff, the top with color match.
i cant sand off any rust. the rust causing it is hidden. all im thinking i can do is pop and open the bubbles, remove the rust inside there, then paint over, but idk if that would look ****tier than it does now... :shrug:

·
Registered
292 Posts
If I may suggest............ If you decide to sand it to metal, be sure to use top of the line primer AND topcoat paint. It may cost 10x the price of cheap can paint but you'll definetly regret using cheap paint.

Edit. Be sure to have a good surface prep.

·
Administrator
15,570 Posts
It needs to be taken down to the bare metal, then primed, sealed, and repainted. That's the only way you're going to get rid of it and make it look new again.

·
Administrator
15,570 Posts
Depends how well you can sand and blend...

I don't really know much about bodywork though...I know the process, but not how to do it. I'm not really sure how to answer that question for you. I'd take it by a local bodyshop and have them give you an estimate and see what they say. Since it's a quarter panel, some blending will have to be done, since the quarter panels are connected through the C pillar and roof. I would guess they would grind that area down to bare metal, do any filling they need to do to smooth it out, then prime over the bare metal. They'd sand the whole panel, painting only what they need to cover, then clearcoat the whole panel.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
my experience on my mustang (67) with rust like that was sanded it down to what looked like bare metal with no more rust. re-primed and painted and good to go. Within a year, the bubbles were back in the same place. To make sure it will be 100% gone, the areas with rust need to be cut/drilled out and new metal welded in it's place. (probably more than $50 for sure :rofl:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts