New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right bulb in my 3rd brake light went out, and I'm not real handy with cars. The dealership said they could do it for approximately $40, but I think that's a little steep to replace a light bulb. Could anyone give me some simple directions of how to change the bulb, and how hard do you think it is? Thanks for the help.

Ryan

G

·
Step 1) If your black plastic tab-looking thing is still there holding the carpet on, pop it out with a flathead screwdriver

Step 2) Pull the carpet back and look at the back of the headlight housing - you should see three posts with nuts secured down on them

Step 3) Take the nuts off (10mm socket?)

Step 4) From the outside, pull the taillight straight away from the car - it should slide right out.

You should now have access to all bulbs in the housing! Replace with new bulb, and reverse steps to re-install...just make sure you secure the nuts down real tight. Should take you 20 minutes at MOST.
Good luck!

P.S. - Don't forget Step 5) Go back to dealer with old bulb, hand to service guy, tell him to go F**K himself for 40 bucks.

·
Registered
478 Posts
MercCougar00 is talking about his 3rd brake light, ie, the one on the trunk, isn't he?

G

·
Ooooohhhhh.....yeah. I just noticed that. Damn. Well, I hope he was able to get it done anyway. When I saw the "3rd" I took it mean that little pissant bulb way off in the corner of the taillight that always glows behind the covers... My bad man.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know how to replace a bulb in the 3rd Brake light?? I don't know much about cars so without help, I'm afraid I'll screw something up, and I really don't want to pay the dealership. Thanks everyone.

Ryan

G

·
All you have to do is pop off most of the black plastic tabs that hold the liner to the hatchback. Try to pop the inner part of the plastic so you can reuse them. Then just bend the liner out of the way. I believe that the light is held in with clips on each side. You either bend them in or out to release (I can't remember). Autozone should have the bulb. It is the same as many others on the car, so it wouldn't hurt thp have an extra on anyway. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.