New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I went to renew my license and had to e-check my car. I failed because my check engine light was not coming on when they plugged in. So i took my car to ford and they called me and said "The reason your check engine light IS on is because you have internal transmission damage" i told him- No, the car was there because the light was NOT on and would NOT come on. and he retorted with "Well that's because if there's massive damage, the light will go into a failsafe mode and won't come on" so i told them not to touch my car and went and picked it up.

On the reciept it says they reset my computer. Well i've driven my car for two days, and yesterday my CEL. comes on. Now it won't go off! Will i fail e-check with the CEL constantly on? Or do you think i would be fine if i reset my computer right before i go to e-check again? my 30 day tag i got for failing expires the 3rd of March.

Also Ford quoted me at 4K to replace the tranny. How much SHOULD this cost? Also, the car runs fine. No weird shifts. I get the 1-2 bang shift every now and again- but that's it. It doesn't search or anything. Anyone have this sort of experience, or any advice!?

Thank you!

·
Registered
674 Posts
you should be ok re-setting your engine light before you go. But first go to autozone and have them scan to see why it's on...then tell us or look up the code. A transmission will run about a grand used....more or less depending on where, what, how many miles etc. Installation at a shop will run you....I really have no idea, maybe 500, I do all the work myself.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
OMG, ford and echeck people are a$$es. I had the same trouble last year. First off fords full of SH!T. They will tell you it will be about 4g's to fix the transmission when you can get it rebuilt for 1200$. But what I have to say is if it isnt broken DONT FIX IT. Secondly the echeck people are full of crap. I have had my engine light on since May of 2000 and had no prob. Yeah they failed me once cause of the f'ing light but I went and got my car serviced (oil change, air filter changed, cabin air changed.. etc) came back with reciepts in hand and had them run it again. (cause if you have proof that you had it looked over they cant say anything) The second time they ran it twice and got a clean reading. Oh, and never go to ford when you are having the codes ran on your car cause they will clear the computer on your car and so if you go to get a second opnion they will see that they had been cleared and then tell you that they can not give you an accurate reading.. yadda yadda. You shouldnt fail echeck even if its a tranny prob (according to the read out). The next time you have it read request to have a print out. I requested with ford to see the codes myself but of course they FORGOT. >,< I dont trust dealers. And the cougar made me never want to deal with one ever again. Thats why you find yourself a trusty mechanic and go from there.

*edit* almost forgot, I too get the 1-2 shift bang, could be the speed sensor.. eh, I will look for the link and you can look into it. I replaced mine and havent had the shift prob. Right now my biggest thing is the tail-pipe hitting the frame. If you have any probs with the cougar just post them here and we will help figure them out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts