New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help w/subs and amps!!

Ive found lots of sites on how to make sub boxes. But i don't just want a big ass box in my trunk area. Ive also seen all the nice jobs you have all done on making walls and what not. I want to put the subs (12") in the right and left cubby hole areas in the trunk, with the amps and cap mounted next to each one of the subs. My question is this, where can i find some good info on how to build these "walls" on the right and left side of the trunk? What kind of material, mounting, bracing, ect?
Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I don't know if there is a particular how-to on that... It's pretty straight forward though. Just build yourself a box that meets the space requirements for the subs. Once the box is in tact, you can add beauty boards to make it look good.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
The box should be made out of 3/4" MDF, and secured w/ large finishing screws (1 1/2" or 2") every inch of the box. You can then seal the inside using liquid silicone, if you want.

E1

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, after the sub box is done you just use the same material to make the wall? I don't want this to sound, or look like crap.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
are you building ported or sealed boxes?just so you know you may be hard pressed to find enough space back there for a decent ported box...hence i would suggest sealed..like Zex said build the boxes to spec so they fit into the cubby holes/wheel well areas...and then cover them with another board or if you want it really sweet try your hand at glassin some vainity boards...as long as the covers are mounted securely and are built well it sound not vibrate and will sound fine..well assuming the boxes are done right hatch ideas from neco there are may ways to do your hatch...mine in there is solid fiberglass...the others look like all MDF and IMO theres look better..anyway good luck with this and PM if you need anything else..

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Yup, since the box is the key to making it sound good, get that done first, and done properly. Then fit it, and build the wall from there. Or you could build the general shape and fiberglass the rest...

E1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.