New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i took my car into get a few things looked at on jan. 16th. and one of the things was my battery dying, and needing jumped easily, and fairly frequently. they said that something was pulling a constant current out of my battery, even when the car was off. for instance: i went into Target a few weeks ago to get some chips, and left my gf in the car. she turned off the car, but left the headlights, neons, and HU on. 15 min later, i came out, tried to start the car, and it was dead. so my battery is weak definatly i think. but today, i had to jump my battery before school (after being in the 5*F cold all night), and then again after school! and during the day it was robably 15* out. didnt leave my headlights or anything on durring the day.

currently, i have an after market HU, 2 amps (one 760W max, and the other 300 W max), but a 1 farad cap. and i also have some neons, that i actually havent used since the Target incident. and i attached a pic of what the tests showed from the Goodyear shop when they checked it. i have the stock battery now, so is it time for a new one? or is it the alternator?

i need some advise on this and quick! so i know if i will should use the money im saving for an exhaust on a new battery and/or alternator!!! thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would have the alternator tested to see if it has any problems. Other than that... If they say that there is a constant draw on the battery... Make sure your amps are turning off with your ignition. Also, you could possibly check the grounds on your amp. I was told once by a guy at a stereo shop that improper grounding can cause a constant draw on the battery.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
"The average battery life in this region is 29-33 months" ?? What does that mean? Batteries should last 5 years.

Mike

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have no idea. he said most batteries are able to last a lot longer, but i think that means that its hard for a battery to go bad in less than that amount of time :confused:???

ZEXcougar: im gonna try to make sure all my grounds are good this weekend. i dont think i scraped the paint off the metal before i connected my grounds, so ill do that, and then leave my car in the cold all night, then try to start it again. tats how i've been testing.

but alstnight, i unhooked my stereo system (just the power wires running to the cap for the amps and all) to see if it was my battery, or my system draining my battery. and the car started fine this morning, even after being left out in the cold. and same after school. so i definatly need to check my grounds.

thanks for the help guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts