New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm going to get the Clifford Matrix RS2 alarm installed this week some time but I was told I need to sacrifice a key to do this. I don't want to sacrifice my spare key! So my question is whats the cheapest way to get a key? I was told it doesn't even need to be cut but has to have the code flashed on it. Do I need to have a whole key done or can I just buy one off eBay, bring it to a hardware store, have a key copied and then do the code flash (as stated in manual), or do I have to go to Ford. I do have a 3rd key which is cut to my car but has the wrong code on it? Long story as far as how I got it mainly relating to it not working from the start. I don't think you can "overwrite a code", who knows.

Please help

Mp

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I had to go to ford when I needed mine. I actually had to make an appointment and a mechanic at ford did the making of the key. It cost me about $40 and a half hour of my life.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Go on Ebay and buy an uncut key with a transponder in it, go to your hardware store and have them cut the key for a buck, then just simply program the key yourself using the other keys that are already coded. This will probably cost you about 10-15 bucks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a PATS bypass box instead, 29.95-49.95 online and at most alarm shops.
Well I will get that box but you still need a key apparently. The bypass box I guess uses the chip. Maybe there are different types, who knows. This is just what my installer says.

Anyways, I'll do the eBay/hardware store route. Sounds much cheaper :)

Thanks everyone for the help.

MP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DEI makes this thing called 555F. It is a maduel with this little capsel that u put near antenna ring. It learn your pats code off your ignition key, and duplicate each time u start car with remote. No spear key needed. But probrem is every single one of them are change code when it gets cald, and hense, will not star the car. It was junk becouse it work fin when you really don't need to worm up your car(i.e. Summer), but when you want it to work(i.e. sub zero weather during janualy), didn't do crop, send deferent code, set off anti theft mode.... it was mess, a d EVERY SINGLE one of 555F did the same thing. Now DEI have unit called 555U, witch u need to have spear key, that is programed to your car(Key need to be cut by the way. Ignition have to be on to program the key), that grabe the code each time u start the car, since it is not duplicated code, it works flowlessly. Don't be cheap. and get the key. 555F is still available, but every single MECP trained installer will tell you the same thing. And How do I know this yopu ask? Iworked at this stereo place outtung remotestarts on cars for SIX years, and I am a MECP certified installer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and yes you can overrite the code from your car. and also replogram code to your car. Walmart cut key place can't tho. 99 and up cougar can hold as much as 9 coded keys in its permenant memory. talk to your MECP installer, and they will tell you everything you need to know. and listen to them. they know what they are talking about

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very cool, thanks simbacat.

I can't believe it! Today I tried for probably the 30-40th time today and believe it not it worked!!! Amazing I now have 3 working keys. Time to get that Clifford Matrix RS2 system!!! :)

Thanks to everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts