New Cougar Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
So its begun.....
16,836 Posts
how about a good wiring schematic for under dash plugs??? Im dying here....
Are you looking for anything in particular and what year?

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
Will the PATS key procedure, number 37, work with a 2000 Cougar?
I don't think those instructions are correct. As I understood it, you had to have TWO working keys already before you can program a third, and those instructions only describe a procedure using ONE key.

Is that covered in the owner's manual?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have the owners manual for my '02 and It says you need two keys but here is my problem, I only have one and it is broke, I had to put a band around it and crimp it on and super glue it so I could use it, I have 2 copies of the key but they do not have transponders in them.

I read somewhere in the forums about someone doing it with one key and they said to search "pats key" and I came up with this page. I read about it here

:rofl:

·
So its begun.....
16,836 Posts
You need 2. Using one will result in the programming not holding.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
You can remove the chip from the key and glue it inside the steering column cover. There's a ring by the ignition that picks up the on the keys chip but it has a very small range. This would essentially "disable" the PATS and allow any key correctly cut to turn the ignition and start the car.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
It would also allow the car to be hot wired if anyone wanted to, so be aware of that.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I just went to look at the Rear Disc Conversion how to and it seems to be the original one. Would it be better to have the revised version uploaded? I have a copy of it's needed.

·
So its begun.....
16,836 Posts
Yes please. It will most likely be hosted here. But I'll add it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Another IMRC circuit check pdf.
The link on post number 11 in this thread, now sends you to euro site and no pdf. ( in English anyway )

But, this one works :
https://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2009/11/18/spqe0nb/imrc-transistor-check-fc.pdf

Very detailed circuit board check .

Click on the images to read the document....

The nylon bushing clips that hold the IMRC linkage rod in place are Dorman 47099, and are available at O rileys for a 5 pack @ 5 bucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, just wondering if the alternator mod is considered safe? I dont really know much about alternator wiring this
, but I'm going to have mine off to swap it for the newer one from the coug more
 engine and figure I might as well check that mod out sense my stereo dims my lights and it'll be wicked easy with them out of the car......

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
If you take it to a Ford dealer complaining of flickering lights, that's how they fix it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Do the mod. When you do it make sure you solder a good ring lug to the sense/field coil wire for attachment to the alternator output post. Even a small amount or resistance in that wire will cause light flicker. I just had to re-do the mod on mine as I used a crimp lug - after a few months of nearly non-stop rain the wire oxidized and it began to flicker.

The factory wire harness is not really that bad, it's just totally intolerant of any resistance in that circuit.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
It seems like Verticalsope is totally hands-off right now, and not paying attention to any of our issues.
Does anyone
a) Have these PDF's saved?
b) Have any ideas about how to restore them?

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
I have been able to salvage a few select ones by using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine plugin for Chrome. But that's a big job to retrieve the entire list one at a time...

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
There's probably only nine or ten tops that are actually worth saving. How would be go about making them accessible again?

41 - 60 of 61 Posts