New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Hey guys, just wondering if the alternator mod is considered safe? I dont really know much about alternator wiring, but I'm going to have mine off to swap it for the newer one from the coug engine and figure I might as well check that mod out sense my stereo dims my lights and it'll be wicked easy with them out of the car......

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
I've heard no negative reports. Next time my alternator dies, I'm doing it.

·
Administrator
24,460 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was a TSB from Ford.
You're right, it was. I have a PDF of the actual Ford document somewhere around here, with instructions and a diagram; I think Ty uploaded it to the forum once.

·
Registered
779 Posts
alright, thanks guys, I'll be doing that when I swap out the alternators. thanks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Is there one about how to change shifter nob on a auto.. I saw it on the "custom ***** head dash". Also was wondering if that would take away the overdrive button?

·
Registered
30 Posts
i would recomend changing the fuel filter after emptying the tank after adding fuel system cleaner to the gas.. i had missfires after a cpl weeks after doing it fuel pressure was low and filter was dirty as hell lol

·
Registered
741 Posts
Is there one about how to change shifter nob on a auto.. I saw it on the "custom ***** head dash". Also was wondering if that would take away the overdrive button?
It would depend on the knob you use. Some come with a replacement hookup. Otherwise you can relocate the button using a general 2 wire connection switch.

To remove the shift knob, there is a small Allen wrench screw located about halfway down the shaft on the driver's side. Take that out then pull up on the shift knob/twist it to break the OD button wires. It will require some force. My knob I just made sure that OD was turned on, then taped over the wires to keep them from touching once it was all back together.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
i believe it gets rid of the dimming/pulsating gauge lights and headlights. i think it is part of the big three iirc but maybe someone else can comfirm.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
I don't think there's been a how-to for those panels since most people that do interior work here know the procedure like the back of their hand. I could probably do that in my sleep. There should be a how-to for removing the entire dash though. I should have taken notes when I did mine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
It helps new people.

Obviously all the diy people in the links have clear understanding on how to do it well enough to teach us.

Removing the dash might be a first for some owners. Every dash is different and I don't feel like breaking **** to find out how.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

21 - 40 of 61 Posts