New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just like I was asking! Was wondering if anyone is running NOS and if so what setup and what else needs to be done for the 2.0 to handle it!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
the 2.0 will handle it as is....i almost hooked up the n/x wet kit to mine...ended up sellin it to another zetec cougar owner who sold it again....and i bought it from a zetec owner...it's still never been used.....yeah..uh...kinda off topic but i think it's cool.....

if your clutch is holdin strong i say go for it....make sure it's hooked up by someone who knows without a doubt what they're doing especially if it's a wet kit...nitrous is funner than hell but just as dangerous....

pgtatx is a good person to go to for advice on nitrous....seawulf is another one...he's got it on his zetec...both very knowledgable

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm running a Nitrous Express kit. Pretty much the stock cheapest kit you can buy. It's a wet kit and you have to get an adapter that screws into the end of the fuel rail. Only way to do a nitrous kit if you have a returnless fuel system like most of us do.

You can also only only run a wet shot into the intake up to only 75hp. Beyond that the fuel/nitrous mix won't flow though the intake manifold and you'll get a backfire. If you want to run more than a 75 shot you have to run direct port and since you can't really screw into the stock plastic manifold you have to either get a metal intake or buy that expensive kit from NOS that plugs into the fuel injector ports and then the injectors plug into them.http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/NOSNS/NOSzle.html

The zetec is a fairly stout engine, but any deto under serious power and the engine is dead. The most you can run with stock timing is a 50shot, though there some Foci running 75s with mixed results, some it works and some blow up. So if you want to run more than a 50shot you need to pull timing with either a J&S Safeguard or MSD DIS2 programable, each cost a minimum of $450 plus accessories. With propper timing pull and a direct port shot you could run 100 to MAYBE 150shot on a stock block. That's theoretical since I pulled 256whp on 9psi and a 35shot so someone else could too.

You should dyno tune it if you go that high and probably jet it richer to make sure you have a least a 12:1 air/fuel ratio and install an EGT guage to make sure your exhaust temps are below 1500F by the redline. Also never shoot below 4000rpm in an HP jet. But you can run a 50shot no problem just use premium gas and shift a bit short for safety.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Is there anything that can be done to strengthen the engine for higher level nitrous applications? Like low comp pistons, stronger rods, different cylinder heads, etc...?

Also, since we share the same transmission with the v6's, will the trans be able to handle the torque of a 100 shot of nitrous?

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well, even though you'd think anything that'd work for a turbo would work for nitrous, they don't recommend you run low comp pistions with nitrous. They say if you want to run just nitrous on our engines then you need stronger rods and HIGHER compression forged pistons. No less than 9:1. I'm not sure the physics behind that but that's what they say. You look at a lot of Hondas that are running just nitrous you see them running 10:1 and sometimes 11:1 compression. You still need to pull proper timing.

The tranny is good, I did 276wtq on stock everything once, and before that just over 200wtq for over 45 dyno runs with no slip. Though I do think that's the limit the stock tranny can take without adding a new differential. The tranny is good but the differential isn't, but a LSD will fix that and should take you to 350whp up to 400. The axles....I don't know. As long as you don't do a lot of road racing/circuit track stuff and 1/4mi with slicks they should hold up for regular road use.

So if you want to run 200-250whp, the stock clutch/tranny should be good, but if you want to run more than that you should upgrade the clutch and diff. Like wise if you want to run more than 250whp you should upgrade the internals with stronger rods and pistons.

Also you can only go up to 250whp on pump gas on a stock block and that's pushing it. If you want more you need at least 100octane. On a built block around 300-350whp is doable, but more than that and you also need 100octane gas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts