New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading a post from DanG about the water pumps, he mentioned napa offers a metal version. Now I know some of us have metal, others are plastic, and I forget how we check to make sure (short of opening it up yourself).

Anyhow I did a quick search on Napa and came up with 3 water pumps. 1 is the refurbished one, another is a Napa brand one and the third is a Duro Pro brand one.

Which one do I buy? What's the part number?

·
3L Install Maestro
7,864 Posts
In the post below he said:

"Replace with a metal-impellered water pump- Don't settle for another cheap-a$$ plastic job! Napa's store brand is a metal impeller. Accept no substitute!"

So the metal one must be the Napa brand then.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Trevor was the one that bought it- He should still have the receipt, which would give us a model name, manufacturer, and even a SKU number to reference. Trevor?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Originally posted by: PuckPuck
Now I know some of us have metal, others are plastic, and I forget how we check to make sure (short of opening it up yourself).
I thought all Cougars had the plastic impellers? How would I check ahead of time so I don't needlessly waste time and money changing my water pump?

Thanks,

Massiv.

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
The water pump I purchased from BAT was only the impeller side of the housing. That is how I know it is metal, but does it usually come with the whole unit, and if so, does that change anything about the install?

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good thing I made this post, cause the one you posted is the Duro Pro of the 3 on the Napa site.

Slightly cheaper than the one offered on BAT so i'll prolly go with this one

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Why is it that everybody wants a metal impeller?

From my experience, metal impellers rust and fall apart...where as plastic ones run much longer.

Any insight would be great.

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think it's because everyone has heard stories of plastic impellers breaking and then the engine overheats and dies. At least thats my take on it. But has anyone here ever actually had that happen to them? Or really known someone it happened to? Not the I know a guy who knows a guy kinda thing.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
No stories... FACT!

Trevor's car, just before 60k miles.

Note: The one on the left is plastic, and bad :thumbsdn:. The one on the right is metal, and good :thumbsup:. :cover:

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Ok, what would cause a plastic impeller to break?

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Low ductility of aged plastic- It just gets brittle after about 60k miles of constant heating then cooling then heating then cooling, etc... Trevor's shattered while he was on cruising on the interstate- He looked down, and the temperature needle was pegged at the "H", for "Holy Sh*t you'd Better Shut This Thing Off!"

Towed him the rest of the way to my house with my 1964 Pontiac Catalina. :banana:

·
Premium Member
8,300 Posts
You should have seen the impeller ... EXTREMELY brittle! Ford knows this and has since redesigned them in 2000. The new impellers are white plastic. However, knowing their track record with fuel pumps and alternators, I would swap with one of these in a heartbeat just for the peace of mind. My car overheated so bad that my temp guage is fried ... it now reads hot all the time.

·
8,545 Posts
After Trevor's experience, I purchased a metal-impeller pump from BAT, along with a new belt and gasket. I now carry them in the car at all times (my Cougar is approaching 60,000 miles), because any garage can do the work as long as they have the part. Someday, after the weather warms up, I'll put it in. Maybe we'll have a meet where we're really bored and don't have anything else to do. ;)

I wouldn't think the metal would rust - doesn't coolant include rust inhibitors for that reason? (In any case, I think I'd rather have a rusted impeller, even if it's not working, than a shattered plastic one...)

Caution: not all NAPA pumps have the metal impeller. I stopped in at a NAPA near me, and they only had plastic ones in stock. Don't rely on them to have it when you absolutely need it!

--RJ

P.S. Now that I have the backup water pump ready to go, most likely my plastic impeller will never fail. It'll probably outlast the engine in which it's installed. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts