New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a cougar a few months ago and I need help figuring out whats going wrong!

I got a problem with my cougar at high RPM's and when the fuel gague goes to a quarter or below. when I go onto high RPM's, the car feels like it hit a redline or something.
If I stay in the high RPM's it gets worse as that feeling gets worse and worse and the car eventually will just die on me. I won't be able to start it for a fifteen minutes or so but once I restart it, its fine for the trip to take it to the gas station.
this problem only happens when the fuel gets low and when the fuel gets lower then the redline bucking feeling happens at lower RPM's.
when the tank is full I don't get this problem at all and I have driven on six hour ski trips with no problems like this whatsoever.
I have NO idea what is going on and am wondering if it is some sort of fuel pump issue or bad gas something.... what is this fuel pump recall people are talking about?

I also get a periodic "humming" that originates somewhere in the front of the car that goes away after fifteen seconds while driving... happens randomly... dunno what that is or if its connected to my original problem.

Please help me, I love my cougar and wanna make sure its healthy.
its a 1999 v6 2.5L manual if that helps at all.......

·
Administrator
15,610 Posts
You need to call your local Ford dealership, explain the symptom, and give them your VIN to see if you car falls under the fuel pump replacement extended warranty program.

It's exactly the symptoms of the failing pump.

Until then, just try and keep it over half a tank...but eventually, it will start doing it there too.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
The humming sound is called "Moosing", and happens often in this model. Do a search for that term, and you shall see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:) thanks for the help... what would you reccommend for fixing the moosing sound? are there any quick fixes like cleaning it? (If so, how easy is it to clean?) or should I just get it replaced?

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
Cleaning it won't do jack. Lots of people think it does, because they are too cheap to replace it. But seriously - you need a new one. A good clean might help for like 2 days.

·
Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
24,982 Posts
It's a VERY easy part to replace; you could probably just buy it over the counter and do it yourself, saving a good $80 or more in labor charges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.