New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 99 MTX V6. Just recently it started idling kinda rough and its got 82k miles so I figured I'd go ahead and put plugs and wires in it. Got them in now (Belden Wires from NAPA and Bosch Ir Fusion Plugs) and it helped for a little while but the rough idle has returned :facepalm:. I was going to just dismiss it as a bad tank of gas until I noticed this evening that the gauge lights were dimming slightly at idle and get brighter when the engine is revved. I fear now it might be the voltage regulator. I work at the Sears Auto Center so I'm gonna use our tester at work tomorrow and see how the diodes check out and everything. I've cleaned the throttle body and I run a bottle of injector cleaner through it when I change the oil so I doubt it's fuel related. Just wondering if anybody has had similar symptoms and what it turned out to be. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
as a test try this. while its idling rough pull the vacuum hose off the egr valve and apply a vacuum to the egr valve. if the idle gets worse then the valve is fine. if it doesn't change then you need to check out the egr system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I tested the electrical system at work yesterday and it turns out the diodes are shopping for burial plots at this very moment :banghead:. From what I've read in these pages I gather that Cougar alternators go bad a lot more often than they should given there location, so I am going to attempt to make a photo diary of the process for those of you who encounter the same problem down the road. Luckily I have the tools to do it myself and I can get the alternator from NAPA at cost since we do so much business with them through work :cool:. Wish me luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts