New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came across some photos taken while working on my trunk.

After 2+ years of having a fullsized spare in the trunk with plans of making some sort of custom floor, I finally got around to it earlier this year. Along with a couple fiberglass sub boxes :)

before (minus stock trunk floor)

molded fiberglass box backs before they were cleaned up and trimmed - backs are still covered with masking tape and foil

left box covered with eDead & dropped in place

same for the right side

view of both

subfloor & boxes covered with felt, subs & amp installed and false floor support divider installed

everything put together
(I wish I would have taken a couple photos of the false floor before covering it. my dad helped me cut it out and it is cut with about 1" gap contoured around the sides and .25" front/back gap and still able to easily be lifted in/out.)

and with an extra cover over the plexi for every day use

·
Registered
739 Posts
GAH! That's EXACTLY what I wanted to do with my subs - came out awesome! So much more space back there now eh? How did you get the right shape for the fiberglass? I was thinking about building something out of cardboard to fit.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So much more space back there now eh?
I didn't have a MDF sub box before, so space is more or less the same as before ;)

How did you get the right shape for the fiberglass?
I also didn't get a pix of that, but I lined the areas where the boxes would be with alumn foil than covered that with wide masking tape running front to back - then over that with masking tape top to bottom. did the first couple layers of fiberglass directly to the masking tape. pulled them out of the car to add another couple layers (about the point the first fiberglass pix are at) then peeled the foil/tape off, trimmed the excess and positioned the MDF rings, stretched t-shirt fabric over the fronts - fiberglassed over that, sanded down the bumps, and covered.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Nice job! Those are made really good. I love the fact that it has a stock look, instead of a huge box just sitting there.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
looks badace.
why not mount the amp under the floor too? looks like you have the space.
that was actually my orig plan, and my dad scared me away from doing that - not knowing if the floor of the trunk was right against the gas tank or what I would be screwing into. I actually believe (not totally sure) the tank is forward of that, but eh... whatever ;)

·
Registered
739 Posts
You're so damn intricate. I was looking for some pics of a sanded UIM on google and your Flickr stuff popped up - everything about your car is like...stupendous. I want it...:(

I'm totally cleaning my engine bay this week. You've inspired me.

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You're so damn intricate. I was looking for some pics of a sanded UIM on google and your Flickr stuff popped up - everything about your car is like...stupendous. I want it...:(

I'm totally cleaning my engine bay this week. You've inspired me.
:) I luvs my UIM

before I installed it, I cleaned the engine bay by spraying it down with simple green and wiping clean with a wash cloth with a bucket of clean water. It went surprisingly well. Took like 2 hrs or so. Engine bay wasn't super dirty, but in 8+ years I hadn't done any more than wipe the spring towers and washer fluid tank off :goofy: so most of it hadn't been touched before.

Whenever I get other pix together probably will post another thread with the UIM and my modded console (that I also luvs very much)

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
:) I luvs my UIM

before I installed it, I cleaned the engine bay by spraying it down with simple green and wiping clean with a wash cloth with a bucket of clean water. It went surprisingly well. Took like 2 hrs or so. Engine bay wasn't super dirty, but in 8+ years I hadn't done any more than wipe the spring towers and washer fluid tank off :goofy: so most of it hadn't been touched before.

Whenever I get other pix together probably will post another thread with the UIM and my modded console (that I also luvs very much)
Goldie can u make a "how-to" on polishing your UIM????

·
Registered
2,017 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
what did you use to form the frame of your sub boxes? Ive been wanting to do that but never looked into what to use. It looks hella good back there. It would give so much more room around my air tank.

·
She purrs ;)
2,874 Posts
looks great!
you and i have the same taste. :)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
I was looking for some pics of a sanded UIM on google and your Flickr stuff popped up - everything about your car is like...stupendous.
Her UIM is scary... I was lucky enough to see it when it was bright and sunny out at cougarfest, and let me tell you... it was BLINDING. I'm serious, even with sunglasses, I couldn't stare directly at it. :eek: :rofl: It was flawless... but ask her if she'd ever do it again? ;)

I couldn't stop saying enough nice things about her car at CF, so she knows how I feel :cool:

·
Registered
717 Posts
Very nice sub setup. They don't come much cleaner than that.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Wow, that is exactly how I would like my sub to look (except only one). Love what you've done with the car as a whole.

A few questions; can you give any more details as to how you mounted the ring in place for the speaker? I cant quite figure out how you supported it. Also, did you manage to find a carpetting that closesly matches the oem in the trunk to cover your floor and enclosures, or is that the exact same stuff as oem? Where did you find it?

·
Premium Member
6,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what did you use to form the frame of your sub boxes?
:confused: the "frame" is the fiberglass shell itself (plus the mdf rings to screw the subs into that were fiberglassed into place). the backs of the boxes are formed to the shape of the trunk sides (see post #4). The fronts were what was left after the backs were trimmed, the mdf was added & fabric was stretched over it.

looks great!
you and i have the same taste. :)
;) and I've always thought you had good taste

Wow, that is exactly how I would like my sub to look (except only one). Love what you've done with the car as a whole.

A few questions; can you give any more details as to how you mounted the ring in place for the speaker? I cant quite figure out how you supported it. Also, did you manage to find a carpetting that closesly matches the oem in the trunk to cover your floor and enclosures, or is that the exact same stuff as oem? Where did you find it?
for the rings, I put them about where I wanted them to be then took a mdf scraps and ran a piece (like 3/4 x 3/4 x ?") from the back of the ring at the top and bottom to the back of the box to keep the ring the correct distance forward. (ends of scraps cut to follow the angles). The bottom scrap also had a support leg going straight down to support the weight. these all were stapled together, put a ton of silicone caulk where the supports hit the fiberglass then stapled them thru the fiberglass also. They were only to support the ring until it was fiberglassed over - so it was pretty flimsy. in the 2nd & 3rd photos you can see the bottom support going to the back of the box.
I could have removed the supports after it was fiberglassed - but they were totally clear of the subs - so figured they were not hurting anything being there.
I also made sure to go back over the areas on the back with more fiberglass where the supports were stabled in place - just to make sure the staple didn't cause a weak point in the shell.
(also when first figuring out where the rings should go, did the math to make sure there was enough air space required for the subs. Im sure serious audio people would also pay more attention to the placement & direction the subs are facing, but my system is not huge and having everything the optimum sound condition wasn't really my goal - was really going more for adding a little bass and doing something to see my wheel at the same time ;) )

for the covering, I actually didn't use carpet, but instead a wool felt that looks very close to the charcoal carpet.
The floor below the spare tire and false floor support I used black (because I had it and didn't know how far the charcoal would go) and used it to cover all the eDead. I originally had the suggestion from a local store to use gorilla glue and found out it might stick well, but sucks ass for attaching fabric. on my sample it bubbled thru and leaves the surface hard as a rock, so used a silicone based quick drying fabric glue I got at the fabric store that was awesome. It didn't soak thru and grabbed within about 10 seconds so made for covering the funky shaped pieces pretty easy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts