New Cougar Forum banner

201 - 220 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I dont disagree with any of that.
I've still got big Cougar dreams of my own (Ive got a spare Cougar and a spare Grand Cherokee lying around just begging to be frankenstein'd together), but it takes a good deal of determination to overcome the common sense roadblocks in the way of any of these projects, thats why they always amount to little more than big talk.
Which is why I didnt want to get into the discussion in depth BEFORE I had the Jag lol. Most are gonna see it and think yeah here goes another half a project.

Thing is I have a garage to keep both cars in. Money isnt super tight. Im fricken bored. And I miss my car. Plus no ones done a huge project in awhile and I think we need some excitement.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Hi Danny,
There's some pretty good info here:
Rebuilding the Ford 3.0L - Engine Builder Magazine and note the little links to other pictures rather than the pictures themselves.

My short answer would be 'pretty damn close', especially as the years went by I guess they teamed up a bit more to not have to make so many 'slight' derivatives.

There's another great article there which pertains to modern engines in general and I'll say I found it fascinating - I hope everyone who is tinkering with their engines would take a minute or two to read it: MLS Gasket Update 2017: Is there anything the MLS gasket can?t do? - Engine Builder Magazine

I'll dig around in my pile of shtuff and see if I can get you any additional info that might be worthwhile, no probs.

Gord ;)
That would be awesome. Especially if you have like a 3.0 build manual for it instead of the TaurusEscape engine.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I’m more of the fan of having things not everyone has or you don’t always see... once I get my body finished I will doing a Kugel V8 rwd swap or attempt a Jag X AWD on my 2nd project cougar.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
I’m more of the fan of having things not everyone has or you don’t always see... once I get my body finished I will doing a Kugel V8 rwd swap or attempt a Jag X AWD on my 2nd project cougar.
Very nice.. if I get this going before feel free to use any of my ideas lol. I agree different is better

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
:( Well that sort of sucks. But don't forget because it's a rule: "everything works out for the best". For sure there will be others and... do you really think mentioning it had something to do with the outcome? Really? :confused:
So to further prove my point,,,,,,,, i told everyone last time and didnt get it.

Only person I told this time was the wife.

Im the new owner of a 2007 Xtype lol.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Congrats - excellent and it's not even wadded up! Figure it was a better deal than the first or less so?
Ehhh its got more miles but its 5 years newer. Its supposed to be a running driving car but all the cold lately battery so charging that now. Only thing wrong visually is the front bumper and driver fender. Cant complain for 650 bucks. The drivetrain is worth that.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yeah but you scored an open-diff Tcase :'( '04 and older (04 may not be included actually) were LSD, anything later was open diff!

Sent from my LG-D852G using Tapatalk
So... Scrap the project, gimme the car

Baby steps! Let us watch him attempt the awd swap.

Excited to see what really needs to be done and someone is finally documentung it here.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Yeah but you scored an open-diff Tcase :'( '04 and older (04 may not be included actually) were LSD, anything later was open diff!

There's no diff in the Tcase. It only has 1 output. The passenger side front axle is still ran by the trans. I did mention the trans isnt staying auto didn't I? I have about 4 pull a parts surrounding my area that are maybe an hour away. Each one has no less then a half a dozen of these things and quite a few are manual cars. So that will be a swap for another group of changes

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
So the goal for this weekend is going to be pull the engine trans and transfer case out of the jag and do some comparison stuff to see what all I have to change in the cougar. Considering I spend 10-12 hours a day through the week going to work and back and working on cars, work through the weeks are probably going to be slow. Weekends should be something though.
From what I can tell by lifting the hood and looking i picked a serious project.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Morning Danny,
I don't suppose you have a camera you could set up first - in one spot to do one of those 'time lapse' video things? I have to say that would be a pretty cool thing to see. :)

Q for you: what's your opinion on the front mounted alternator. Figure it might clear the Cougar rad or no?

Cougar.... Couguar! ;)
Nope you get pictures. And not even while working type pics. I will document things as I go though that I feel are important points. And progress update type things. As well as any whats the difference? And will it fit type questions? As I get to that point.

Im developing a plan for what section and order Im doing things in. I dont want to go at this with the what do I feel like doing today attitude.

So, on that point.
1. Pull engine trans transfer case.
2. Front cross member front suspension.
3. Brake lines fuel lines fuel tank etc.
4. Rear crossmember
5. Rear suspension
6. Pull interior and wire harness from Jag
7. Wire harness and interior back into Coug.
8. Engine install.
9. Odds and ends to make it run.

As you can see the alternator is pretty low on the list. I could probably take a tape measure and measure the engine bay and if the numbers match theres no reason it wouldn't fit. You gotta not look at it with cougar eyes. What we have as cougar owners isnt what Im going to have as a Couguar owner lol. Think of it as taking the body off the cougar and sticking just that on the jaguar. That's pretty much what Im going to be doing in a sense

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Jag battery problem fixed. They said its been there for a bit when I was picking it up. In its time there the battery terminal corroded. Rubbed it and the battery down with some sandpaper and it fired no problem. So now we have a running driving under its own power Xtype. My only concern is its been super cold here and theres no antifreeze in it. Im kinda curious where it went. Considering its an insurance auction place that would mean something caused the insurance company to buy it from the previous owner.

So tomorrow after I get off work Im going to get the spot in the garage cleaned out for it. Fill it with water to see if it leaks out or smokes and if not start pulling the engine out.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
Hi Danny,
Good stuff!

I don't think I've bought a car in ages without before or after, getting one of those CarProof or CarFax (whatever you have available) reports, just to scope out some history. Typically not much of a read for the money but there is a sense of 'knowing' which be it good or bad, well, I find it puts things a little more in perspective.

Hope it continues to be all good!

Gord
If Im buying it to drive sure. If Im buying it just to cut up? Not so much. Now if it was like I only need the motor sure then Id want to know. Just all the suspension parts fuel tank and all that stuff to me is worth 650 bucks. The fact it runs and pulls itself? Thats just a bonus. Then we have all the other stuff Im going to toy with getting to fit in the cougar.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Sooooooo, haven't updated in awhile. And theres good reason. Actually not because I've given up on it lol. Had quite a bit happening concerning the cars, and well life in general. I'm moving back to NC so this got put on hold. Im still working in GA for the time being because the kids are in school until mid may and not wanting to transfer them mid year I figure why not keep making money while I'm here. As for the plans with the car I actually started thinking I wanted to save the Xtype but changed my mind. I am however switching which cougar all this stuff is going in. This ones getting converted instead but its not happening until probably June.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
I was hoping you weren't gone forever. Welcome back.

Nah.
Life just got in the way as it likes to do.
I did finally get accomplished getting the 2 black cars in the same location. The problem is until I get totally moved that location is about 450 miles from where my butt is currently located.

201 - 220 of 223 Posts