New Cougar Forum banner

181 - 200 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Yeah swapping subframe I can’t wrap my head around yet... I could see maybe swapping just the tranny and rear end leaving the 2.5 or already a 3.0 swap. Hmmmm
I didnt strip my car that far just to do a tranny and rear end swap. The jag motors going with it

·
Registered
321 Posts
Slight differences, probably would be easier with entire donor car of course to use every part possible and customize a few brackets like radiator supports.

Cougar subframe

Jag subframe

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
Slight differences, probably would be easier with entire donor car of course to use every part possible and customize a few brackets like radiator supports.

Cougar subframe

Jag subframe
Oh I know I've been under both at pull a part with a tape measure. Thats the purpose of getting a whole car. If you look at the actual mounting points of the frame itself theyre close enough that if not bolt in a very small amount of modifying will be needed. That way any mounts for the transfer case as well swap over. Plan is to use as much as necessary from the Jag to put the entire driveline in. Engine, trans, transfer case, rear end. As well as swapping to 5 lug in the process.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Well could use PRT solid aluminum subframe bushings which I already have and then weld the subframe lol that could be easier I assume then trying to use the close bolt holes if they are that close, not sure

Edit: never mind that would defeat the purpose of the bushings all together. I’m an idiot. Not sure what stress would be caused or stiff the car would be if the subframe was welded, assume some negative effect

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Well could use PRT solid aluminum subframe bushings which I already have and then weld the subframe lol that could be easier I assume then trying to use the close bolt holes if they are that close, not sure
I was considering that. If its close but not quite, offset bushings could be an option too.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
You know, from a distance if I may with all due respect, I think you've been quite fortunate with your slight 'misfortunes' - things could have been much worse if you can bend your thinking a little to comprehend that?

And in Danny's case, being outbid in an auction is exactly what it is - someone else forked out more money (suckers) - besides, it was an automatic so maybe a good 5-speed will come along in short time.

"The power of positive thinking", gents. You're driving your own buses (lives) in the event you didn't notice and I will say it again: everything works out for the best. I'd ask you to trust me on that one perhaps at least seeing as I do have the years and the mileage to prove it, though you may of course choose to...do otherwise, no worries.

With best wishes (mild rant / speech over),

Gord ;)
That's what the wife keeps telling me. And I suppose, even though Im fricken bummed about it, I suppose yall are right. The part I was excited about on that one was the low miles and it ran. Im incorporating some of the inside bits into my car as well if they fit. The seats to me are comfy as hell and I like the radio area. I want to make both fit in my car. So I guess I should wait for the better radio set up. Heated seats. And a manual trans. I need to aim for at least some of those.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
Bingo.
Danny, I've *so* been in your shoes and it ate me apart at times which is why I just have to try to 'give back' a little...because indeed over time, something else better always came along and it was then I realized this is how it all seems to 'flow'. ;)

Plus you're wealthier today so maybe... you know, wife and yourself... nice restaurant... :)

Gord
I think wifes thinking more like 4 kids and christmas lol

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Bingo.
Danny, I've *so* been in your shoes and it ate me apart at times which is why I just have to try to 'give back' a little...because indeed over time, something else better always came along and it was then I realized this is how it all seems to 'flow'. ;)

Plus you're wealthier today so maybe... you know, wife and yourself... nice restaurant... :)

Gord
I'll get it. Its just not going to be in the time frame I had hoped. I've been cutting cars apart and putting them back together now since school got out that Im not longer afraid of messing something up. I'm determined to make this thing work and am thoroughly convinced its possible regardless of people saying oh i wouldnt do it or it cant work because of this or its not worth the effort or it costs to much.
So Im pretty much calling bull****.

It wont bolt in no. I have to modify things yes. The cougar computer wont run the engine no.

Nothing says it HAS to be bolted exactly like it is stuff can be modified.

Modifying things. I work in a collision repair center. I can modify every last inch of the car. We have the tools and the technology to do so if necessary.

As far as the computer. Who says we have to keep the cougar computer. Jumping from 170 to 227 should be more then enough for anyone to consider it. If 170 is closer to 190-200 after exhaust intake and all that then 227 should be close to 250 with similar mods. FWD would be difficult with getting the power to the ground yes. The AWD in the Jag is a 60/40 split 60% to the rear and 40% to the front. So the power should be useable. The Jag I dont think is as fast as the cougar though. It could be because its toting around somewhere in the ballpark of 700lbs more then the cougar.

I say theres no reason its not possible. As far as not being worth the time and effort, its my time and effort to spend.

And Im totally sorry if it sounds like Im fussin you out Im not. I totally agree with you. Something better will come. Im just really passionate about this idea.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
[we] can modify [it] . We have [...] the technology.
:biggrin:

I'm 100% behind you. I've had this idea on my mind since I first bought one. it HAS to be done. it just has to be one. at least once. and it *will* eventually be done, for certain. any problems or snags you hit let us know, we'Ll brainstorm with you. godspeed!

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
'tis nothing, Danny. I see the determination, I admire the ambition and I think the project and obviously the amount of effort you've put in to researching it are outstanding and very inspiring.

Why I fully expect to see it happen. Tomorrow would be great but what's the rush if you think about it? I have a pretty good feeling you yourself are about 60/40 and the 60 is the *doing* with the 40 as the done? Doesn't matter much - it'll 'be' some day for sure.

Oh, I have the LS engine I'm tinkering with and with little to no effort and cost (besides time), it's an easy 240 - 250 and this is non VVT. It made me laugh: one example is, they run what's basically a second power steering pump to drive a hydraulic motor to spin the rad fan. :confused: And then they put a cooler in line for that pump.

Summary: pump running motor spinning cooler with another cooler for pump? WTF were they thinking? :rofl:

If you need any further insight in to the AJ engines, I'm accumulating lots so don't be shy.

;)
About the only thing I may need would be wiring diagrams but I think I might be good.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #191

I'm 100% behind you. I've had this idea on my mind since I first bought one. it HAS to be done. it just has to be one. at least once. and it *will* eventually be done, for certain. any problems or snags you hit let us know, we'Ll brainstorm with you. godspeed!
I agree. Most read the what 3.0 fits my car post and see custom ecm or however its wrote and say oh no damn wont fit Im not spending that much money. The Jag comes with an ECM and the stock tune put out the 227 Jag sold it with so Im not sure what the big deal is with why someone cant use it. It would even still pass an emissions test, where as after I put the megasquirt in the car it wont.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I think i said this before but theres an AWD cougar in the states! He posted maybe once on here and disappeared forever.

Track him down, give him like 5k cash. Boom. Easy AWD cougar no headache:biggrin:.

Although I dont think he has the Jag engine.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #193
I think i said this before but theres an AWD cougar in the states! He posted maybe once on here and disappeared forever.

Track him down, give him like 5k cash. Boom. Easy AWD cougar no headache.

Although I dont think he has the Jag engine.
I dont want something someone else built lol

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I always wondered why no one has tried to swap jag X drive train into a cougar yet ....
Because nobody has been willing to make the investment of time and money for a car that will still ultimately underperform compared to any number of cars you can find on a used lot for great prices any day of the week.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Because nobody has been willing to make the investment of time and money for a car that will still ultimately underperform compared to any number of cars you can find on a used lot for great prices any day of the week.
Thats ok. I'll be the dummy.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
See I have a problem with that ideology though. Everyone says its not going to perform. Its still going to be slow. Its a waste of time. Thats why no one's ever done it.

Ummm how do we know?

I no longer accept because so and so said so.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Five years and Cyclones will be pick-a-part available and NECO will start the experiments. A stock N/A 3.7 makes 300 HP with VCT. Turbo, bolt-ons? 450 hp Cougar? I'm down. Figure out that AWD swap don't let nobody stop ya

I mean the escape AWD's CD4E and the X-type's MTX-75 are our only options until someone finds how to talk to a 6f55.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #198
Five years and Cyclones will be pick-a-part available and NECO will start the experiments. A stock N/A 3.7 makes 300 HP with VCT. Turbo, bolt-ons? 450 hp Cougar? I'm down. Figure out that AWD swap don't let nobody stop ya

I mean the escape AWD's CD4E and the X-type's MTX-75 are our only options until someone finds how to talk to a 6f55.
Actually. Since its never been done....... the Jag auto trans is different as well. Its like an early version of the manually shiftable auto. If someone wanted to figure it out, it does bolt to a ford Duratec V6.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
:confused:

Respectfully, though with a hint of seriousness....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dakxwoVV7yM

Little challenge to those with artistic and mechanical brilliance to just go spend money on something any wanker could have given the budget or financing, capiche?

Nothing like a good project. Keeps a fellow happy and in some cases... sane.
Hey Gord do you have more information on the engine block itself for the Jaguar? From what Wiki says all the 3.0 duratecs are based on the same block. Im curious if my Taurus block with the Noble parts in it is the same as the Jag to the point I can put the rods and pistons in the Jag engine.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
I dont disagree with most of that.
I've still got big Cougar dreams of my own (Ive got a spare Cougar and a spare Grand Cherokee lying around just begging to be frankenstein'd together), but it takes a good deal of determination to overcome the common sense roadblocks in the way of any of these projects, thats why they always amount to little more than big talk.

181 - 200 of 223 Posts