New Cougar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
:biggrin:Finally got my Koni's and ADDCO bar ordered!:biggrin:
Mark from Shox.com said the rears are on the shelf, and they have 12 fronts in transit from Norway so I should get everything in the next couple weeks!:biggrin:

Thinking front control arms from Summit ($58 ea) and all four mounts ($24 front, $32 rear) from rockauto. Just trying to scrounge up some disount codes...

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I might be wrong but i think summit racing is $10 more expensive for control arms if your looking at the dorman models

summit racing

rock auto( can post direct link)
DORMAN Part # 520202 {#F8RZ3078BA}
Includes Ball Joint and Bushings; Front Right Lower; 2 Bolt Hole Attachment : CAD$27.68
Wrong arm. I need the 4 bolters.
You were half right though, one of Rock's is $10 cheaper while the other is $4 more!
It will depend on if I find any discount codes or not. Still hunting before I buy. Thanks for the backup, I missed the fact that one of Rock's is cheaper than the other.

Edit: Ordered the arms: One from Summit and the other from Rock. Summit is being a bunch of cheap bastards this spring and not offering any discount codes that I can find. Rock has 5% off. Problem was that Rock was going to ship them from separate locations so would have ended up costing a little extra. Ultimately, both companies were within a couple bucks of eachother.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I had too much free time yesterday so I actually went all the way to the checkout page on both sites for a couple different scenarios...ultimately ended up being about the same price from either just due to the added shipping cost from rock.
That was yesterday that I ended up ordering one from each company. Today, I have an email saying that the one from rock is on the way, but nothing yet from summit.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Bump stops -
Any need to replace if the boots are still intact?
I plan on replacing the boots on principle, but there is a big $ difference in the ones with bump stops vs. the ones without.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Sha-WING!
Got my ADDCO bar in today! I didnt even have any shipment info, so it was a total surprise!
7 days from the day I ordered it - very nice.

Now I need to figure out a way to mount the Dang thing. The stock brackets are way too small, and the ones that they supplied arent going to work either. I'm thinking I can get ahold of some steel and just bend my own...otherwise Aircougar might have some more welding to do. That is definitely not ideal because it will ruin my sweet powdercoat.

edit:Got both control arms in as well. I actually received the one from Summit before the one from rock. They were only a day apart though.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Now I need to figure out a way to mount the Dang thing. The stock brackets are way too small, and the ones that they supplied arent going to work either. I'm thinking I can get ahold of some steel and just bend my own...
Managed to get a piece of stainless flat stock and bent my own brackets. What a PITA! They fit really nice though, so they should work out great.
Now just waiting on the struts and the custom rear control arms...
106_0032.jpg

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Monroe strut boots vs KYB strut boots:

My local stores didnt have four of any one brand and I didnt feel like paying shipping for these so I bought two KYB and two Monroe strut boots.
The Monroe boots are a very soft rubber, the KYB's are much stiffer plastic. I think both will be just fine, but I am partial to the Monroe's.
In the pics, the Monroes are the limp ones, the KYB's are stiff.:rofl:
106_0033.jpg 106_0036.jpg 106_0035.jpg

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I now have everything but the custom rear control arms:) Hope to get the front end done this week, and rear done next week
106_0037.jpg 106_0040.jpg 106_0038.jpg

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Got the front done today. Spent 5 hours on the D side and 3 hours on the P side. Only major stumbling block came with replacing the D side control arm. On my car at least, it was physically impossible to get the two forward bolts out intact.
They need to be cut and replaced because they are arranged with the nut side down, so the bolts should come out the top, but the transmission is in the way. I tried lowering the subframe, jacking up on the transmission, prying with all my might with a 3 foot crow bar, trimming off the extra bit of bolt that extends past the nut, everything I could think of and I was still about a quarter inch off. Unfortunately I only had some SAE bolts with me to replace them with so Ive currently got two incorrect bolts, but I am at least glad that I decided to pick those up just in case. Will have to order some correct ones because none of my local stores carry the right size in grade 10.9.

Also took longer than expected to separate the D side hub from the axle. I was using a big three point gear puller, that was doing fine, but that side just fought me all the way for some reason. The P side went very smoothly and easily for the most part.

http://www.newcougar.org/forums/sus...ront-end-rebuild-tips-tricks.html#post1815392

The car drives so much better already!!! Sounds better, rides better, etc. Cant wait to get the rest of the work done!

Reactions: everstrong

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got the rear struts and mounts done last night:biggrin:
Job was pretty easy, but I think the mevotech rear mounts are designed incorrectly because the spring seat doesnt sit in it the way it did on the ford mount. I now believe I need to get some Ford mounts and redo them.
http://www.newcougar.org/forums/suspension-performance/149630-rear-suspension-tips-tricks-etc.html
I set the Koni's at 50% for now, will have to see how that works. I've still cot a couple hundred pounds of tools in my trunk and one mickey moused trailing arm bushing so I havent had a chance to judge the ride yet. :(

Also tried to replace trailing arm bushings but failed miserably. Will have to go back to this project later
Post #11: http://www.newcougar.org/forums/sus...6-replacing-trailing-arm-just-bushings-2.html

-Waiting on the custom pieces before I install the new subframe and sway bar.
-Now looking into drilling access holes for the rear koni adjustments. These hole's would be in the waterway for the rear hatch, so a rubber plug would be in order. Will need to find an appropriate size plug, then drill some holes.
-Still need to finish the trailing arm bushings. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Finished the two trailing arm bushings that are in the knuckle. Will install the new arms with the new bushings in them when I go back for the other work.
Had a wicked squeak on the D side rear before I went in, so I looked at the spring and it wasnt really seated properly in its seats. Fixed that and no more squek from that side! Unfortunately I now have a little bit of a squeak on the P side rear so I guess I need to look at that one too.
I did notice while doing the rear struts that my endlink bushings are torn again. What a lousy design! Cant wait to get my custom stuff in...

Reactions: pintoj444

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
So I got the 200 pounds of tools and parts out of the car and now its sitting a good 2 inches higher than normal...I'll need to swap those mounts sooner than I thought I guess... Other than that, with the rear at 50% and front at 100% soft, it's a perfectly comfortable ride, maybe a little softer than I hoped, but I havent really hit any hard turns yet, and my COG is definitely a little off due to the rear mounts problem. Think I might try 100% stiff in the front for the weekend...

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Good to hear it's back on the road!

(I felt obligated to post. Your streak of 10 posts in a row was getting to be too much for me!)

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Good to hear it's back on the road!

(I felt obligated to post. Your streak of 10 posts in a row was getting to be too much for me!)
Thanks dude. Its good to know you care. My views count is still going up so I guess somebody's reading!
Anyway, pic of the rear trailing arm bushing installed as well as the zirc fitting.
Trailing arm bushing.jpg

Got the right bolts installed in the front D side control arm.

Went to full stiff on the front today, still 50% in the rear...WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Yeah, its a little rough and noisy, but the handling is WAY tight! The car hardly feels nose heavy at all now. I know that it is but it doesnt feel like it so much anymore. Hardly even moves when coming to a stop at the bottom of the off ramp. Whoever said Koni's with stock Springs were a waste was woefully mistaken. I dont doubt that progressive springs would be even better, but I am very satisfied with my choice.

Decided I'm going to go ahead with the rear swaybar swap without waiting for my new arms. He's hoping to get to those over Mem. day weekend so I will worry about them later. Probly do the swaybar on Wed.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Got the swaybar installed today:biggrin:
Still have crappy endlinks and the non-reinforced subframe on for now so I doubt I'll get a "proper" test in just yet, but even just daily driving stuff I can feel a SIGNIFICANT difference. Between the Konis and the swaybar, body roll is virtually non-existant now. Rides a little rough but thats the price you pay, and its easily fixed literally with the turn of a screw;)
Undoubtedly the best $120 I've spent on the car so far. :cool:

Took me about 45 minutes but it can easily be done in 30.
Used the trusty crowbar to gently work the old one out, then pushed the new one in from the side with a little help from my friend the big-ass mallet. Didnt really take all that much force, just some gentle tapping. Oh yeah, in case its not clear, remove the P side wheel in order to tap it in from the side.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
control arms.jpg toe.jpg
:biggrin:Should have them installed next week along with the upgraded subframe:biggrin:

·
Registered
172 Posts
If you havent ordered endlinks for your sway bar yet def go TZT... hes got a group buy up on em right now. He installed mine about a week ago and I love em... the fronts are more noticeably beefed up than the rears but both are a huge upgrade from the crappy stockers :rofl:

Edit* Also priced well 8) Good luck with the coug... I'm workin on mine too lol :tongue:

21 - 40 of 63 Posts