New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, 120K on the 01, and making some funky noises and bottoming out on the dips in the road so time to redo the suspension.

I havent had a chance yet to figure out what the noises are, but I'm guessing ball joints. Once I do a good inspection Ill update

Heres what I think I need to buy. Your input is more than welcome.

Definitely need:
Struts (Probably Koni, but maybe BAT. Depends on what I do about springs)
upper bearings (Both front and rear?) (dealer item?)

Probably need (pending inspection):
Ball joints (available anywhere)
Tie rod ends (available anywhere)

Want:
New rear sway bar (Addco bar from shox.com)

Undecided:
BAT springs. (Understand I need 99-00 rear spring seats if I get springs)

I will check my sway bar bushings and endlinks when I get under there, but their only a year old.

Any other parts I should be buying?

·
1,600 Posts
You may want to consider replacing the entire lower contol arm for the fronts, which would include the ball joint....If you have a 4 bolt unit they are a bit pricy...Rock Auto has good prices..... if you have a 2 bolt unit, they're pretty cheap.

Also, if you're beefing up your rear sway bar, you're going to want to reinforce your rear sub-frame where the sway bar clamps bolt in..... do a search on reinforcing rear sub-frame, you'll get some good info.

I got my front strut bearings from Tousley Ford pretty cheap, but Rock Auto has good prices too.

·
Administrator
24,310 Posts
No bearings in the rear.

I'd DEFINITELY just replace the entire front control arm assembly on both sides, as Chad mentioned. Cheap parts, gets you new ball joints, and all bushings. Unbeatable deal, and saves a TON of labor.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have the four bolt arms, thats why I was thinking just the balls. Ill try to take a good look at the bushings when I get under it and reevaluate that. If I dont get springs, I might be able to swing the new arms...

Subframe beefing probably isnt in the budget for this project but I have read up on it and will keep an eye on things. If (when) I eat those mounting points, then I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I will however, give this some more thought and figure out if theres a way I can work it in now or not.
I have to rent the garage space to do the work, and find a welder to help me out so I'll have see if its realistic right now or not based on the extra day or two the car would have to sit in the shop with no rear end.

Thanks for the input, keep it coming

·
Registered
175 Posts
you can get the dorman brand ones from advanced auto for about 70 bucks each so totaling 140 plus change. and yes I understand you have the 4 bolt, just type in A123 for a coupon code to get the discount. as for springs, shox.com has a deal going on for 700 shipped for the struts and springs. BAT can kiss my you know what, they have horrible customer service.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so the front uses a strut mount and a bearing, but the rear only uses a mount. Is there any need to replace the mounts in front or rear if no spring replacement?

·
Administrator
24,310 Posts
The mounts are the rubber insulators between the spring seats and the car itself. They get smashed flat after that many miles, and make everything sloppy. They should be replaced when struts are replaced, at the very least.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WTF Knibbs? How is it that you always have what I need when I need it? Got a spare rear subframe lying around? LOL.
Actually Im pretty much decided on sticking with stock springs now, but thanks for offering.

Just got done inspecting everything on the lift...
Struts are definitely toast but I already knew that.
Everything else in the front looked pretty good except the d side rotor was rattling around once I got the wheel off. Shouldnt matter though as long as the wheels are installed right?
Whats really got me ticked off today is that my rear endlinks are shot again! Those are less than a year old! Those were the TPR ones from shosource...I guess Ill try to find some poly ones this time, but I think its a bad design. Might try to reengineer a custom solution...especially since I plan on getting a bigger bar.

I did take a closer look at the rear subframe and am tossing around some ideas for that which dont involve welding, Ill have to nuke that out a little more though.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Researching my parts, it looks like some sellers include the front strut bearings with the strut mounts, and some dont...
Anyone know if the Ford mounts include the bearings or not?
The fordparts website doesnt even seem to show the bearings so Im guessing they include it as an assembly, but it would be nice to be sure...

·
Registered
175 Posts
dude just get the ones on advanced auto, their 50 a piece and with the discount code they are 30 a piece. they come with bearings too.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got done making the phone rounds to the area junk yards for a rear subframe...only one yard admitted to having either a contour or a cougar, and he wasnt willing to unbury them until may at the earliest. :( Guess Ill go back to plan A as far as the subframe goes and worry about it later.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The plan is coming together...Looks like I'll be getting a new rear subframe from aircougar, and I'm having some custom rear endlinks made along with reinforced control arms to support them. Also custom toearms so by the time I'm done, I should have a seriously stiff rear-end!

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the reinforced rear subframe thanks to Aircougar, and sent the arms off to my fab guy (dad) for upgrading...This is exciting stuff:) Gonna try to get the subframe powdercoated, we'll see if that pans out or not.

Oh, and for the record, Your mom jokes and thats what she said jokes are ALWAYS welcome in my threads. They are pretty much in my top five list of reasons for living.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:biggrin:Score! Got the subframe powdercoated for the low low cost of my soul!:biggrin: Will post pics when I find the dang camera, but it looks GOOOOD:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Found a great source for energy suspension parts. They have much better descriptions of what your ordering than summit or jegs, and better prices too. Confirmed that the ES rear control arm kit contains all four bushings so one kit does both arms, both ends:)
Energy Suspension 4.3154 Rear Control Arm Bushings

1 - 20 of 56 Posts