New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
'93 Ford Probe 2.5 GT
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey lads, I'm aware this isn't this forum's bread and butter, but I have an issue with my other project that's at the edge of my technical knowledge.

I have a '93 Probe V6 (KL-DE engine) that I wrench on a lot. one of the things i really want to fix right now is a very loud engine clatter on a cold start. it's in the top end. it rattles like.. like two dozen marbles in a dryer. it's louder than the exhaust, and it has Borla exhaust and headers for pete's sake. it lasts a few minutes, until the oil is hot I suppose,then goes away and it just purrs. According to WIkipedia, this engine uses ''directly actuated hydraulic bucket lifters'', whatever those are. I guessed the sound to be Lifter clatter - like it was low on oil, or something, but it's not.

the car was badly neglected before I got it - I have reason to believe the oil has not been changed regularly, and that it wasn't good quality oil to begin with for anywhere between two to eight years. the motor is at 220,000 km as it is. it's on it's second oil change under my ownership as it is now. it's on Valvoline 5w30 conventionnal - I don't know what else to use - and a motorcraft filter. I'm not sure how to check, but in discussing with the previous owners, I think the timing belt is also overdue.

what do you guys think would be the source of my noise, and if my guess is right, how would you flush out dirty oil deposits / varnish from this engine? I've heard a million things - seafoam, ATF, Marvel Mystery oil... I'd really like to hear more of a step-by-step, this is how I did it myself-type aid, more than just another 'I heard it from this guy!'-type tip, if that's okay.

B3NN3TT, I think I remember reading you physically squeezed every lifter with a vise in one of your 3L builds?

As always, looking forward to your input. this community has always been quasi-fraternal and forthcoming with help and good advice, and I have faith you'll be able to guide me on this as well.

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
A DAMB head is way different than our roller lifter setup.

· Registered
1,187 Posts
The KL's have a much different lifter, not even comparable. Throw any thought of that out the window.

Sounds like its oil pressure related given cold starts is the issue, so you might never "fix" this. Could be so many things, and is likely impossible to T/S over the internet.... You could try priming the oil pump before hand see if a cold start changes with oil pressure.

As far as cleaning gunk out.. ATF has a bunch of detergents in it which is why people will throw it in and run it. It's pretty cheap too if you run non synthetic. But i doubt it will fix your issues... But might clean some crap out.

My soft spot for Mazda's loves me some KL's My friend swapped a KLG4 into his Protege 5

· Administrator
1999 3.0 SilFro
27,685 Posts
Yeah basically in a Duratec the cam is offset from the valve train and there are roller rockers connecting them, with lifters keeping tension.

In a DAMB setup, the cam is directly over the valve train and each cam lobe presses directly on its respective valve through a “bucket”. No lifters. No rollers. Just bam bam bam.

· Registered
'93 Ford Probe 2.5 GT
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. Apparently the NA miata guys have similar issues. I'll probably give it a timing kit in the next few months, so I'll see about cleaning up whatever's in there by hand while I'm in there.

I reallt wonder how folks run the ATF. How long and in what ratio to oil?

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

· Registered
'93 Ford Probe 2.5 GT
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Recorded it quickly :

It sounds so, so, so wrong. Dear god.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

· Registered
'93 Ford Probe 2.5 GT
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
random 2 year necro : regular oil changes over 36 months cleared it up - it'll clunk a little on startup for about thirty seconds, probably while oil gets circulating; then you're good to go. it's a very quiet engine now. Thanks, Castrol GTX and Mobil 1. consumes a lot of oil over it,s interval though - you kind of have to keep a pint handy every 3-5000k. it just rolled past 155,000 miles though, so it can't be blamed.

there's also the fact that the timing belt had jumped a few teeth when I got to it. tensioner failure. someone had been in there and changed the belt only. this, fixing a ton of other little deferred maintenance issues, and timing it properly also helped, but the oil changes are what really made it happy.

Reactions: B3NN3TT
1 - 8 of 8 Posts