New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after a year of having the car i started to have minor problems goin into reverse but time grew on and it seemed to get worse. reverse is the only gear that doesnt work right, it will not engage when i switch it and ill need to rev it to about 2500 rpm and then engages pretty rough. but i took it to my tranny garage and they wanna charge me 2000 bucks to rebuild it....reverse is ehh...but all the other gears and upshifting are fine? what should i do..go with a rebuild or get a junked tranny?...i wanna do a mtx swap but i dunno if ne1 around this area could help. any ideas or anything would be great

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like you might just have some sticking pistons in your valve body or a weak pump. How often have you changed your fluid?.

I really don't see any reason to rebuild the whole unit. If reverse did not work at all or never engage, that would be another story. I would say then that you might have a busted reverse drum or burnt clutch pack.

Tranny shops or yourself (if mechanically inclined and not scared of ATX's) can replace a valve body ($275) or you can get a set of replacement gears for the pump from Sonnax.

Take it to a tranny shop that is willing to troubleshoot your problems and not just rebuild your transmission. A "good" shop can easily check line pressures and do active scans to find the root of your problem and it will cost you a whole lot less then a full rebuild.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.