New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my dad is a Studebaker nut - he has had a '53 Commander longer than he has had me...yes, the same one. He finally got it restored a couple years ago - and then bought an excellent original condition '60 Lark.

Well, all that, combined with all of the free time of no kids hanging around and retirement has made him more active in certain things. One of those things, that he has been bugging me about for a couple years, is attending (not participating in) the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags in Stanton, MI every year.

Well, this year, I decided to drive up and see what all this was about. It was pretty fun - almost fun enough to get involved - IF I had tons of money.

Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags REQUIRE the car be STOCK - as it would come off the showroom floor. No headers, no paint jobs that are non-stock, no non-stock cams, carbs, wheels, tires - ANYTHING. So every car that was there (129 cars) looked like, and were, restorations or original condition muscle cars from 1955-1975.

Probably the most popular body style was the Chevelle/Cutlass 442/GTO/Buick GS - I bet there were 50 of those at least.

Some cars were slow - like 85 mph - and the fastest I saw was a late model Corvette that ran 11.9/120mph!

Here are some pics...all show either Mustangs or Studebakers. By the way, Studebakers can be very fast - Studebaker offered a 289 Supercharged motor - from the factory. The Brown Lark below has broken 13 seconds. Oh, it only has just over 8,000 original miles on it, too.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I love them old Studes, I used to have a '41 Champion; 3 on the tree. Even with the flathead 6 you double clutched it, reached under the dash, pulled out the overdrive knob and it would jump from 70 to 90 in no time. I miss that car:(

·
Registered
935 Posts
Nice early Torino in the 3rd pic. Hard to believe there was a time when ford wan't concerned about other products competing with the mustang.

My grandparents had one of those, it was in Charlie and the Chocolate factory in the 70s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.