New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting in town tonight and my friend had just had an exhaust put on his supra and he wanted to hear what it sounded like from outside the car. Not knowing that I didn't know how to drive a 5 spd he asked me if I would drive it around the parking lot and down the road a little bit so that he could hear it. When I told him that I didn't know how to drive it he said that he would teach me some time. Later on we were leaving his house and he gets to the end of the driveway and he gets out and tells me to drive. I did pretty good until we got to the end of the road that he lives on and I let it go dead when I was pulling out I drove through town and down our little strip where everyone hangs out (praying that I didn't get stopped at a traffic light because I would probably let it go dead right there in front of everyone) I made it through there fine but then we get out of town a little bit and came to a stop sign that was on a little bit of a hill and I let it go dead twice. Then I got on the interstate and drove back to subway, where we had been hanging out at.

I guess I done okay for my first time, but I definetely need to practice because the next car I own will have a manual transmission.

G

·
once you have an MTX car it doesnt take long at all to be able to drive it. then hills aint a big deal after that and before you know it you dont even realize its MTX.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Originally posted by: ZEXCougar
The only hard part is first gear and reverse. Just get some practice in and you will be fine. It isn't hard to learn at all once you have a feel for the clutch.
reverse??? how is that difficult ?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Originally posted by: slownfurious
The only hard part is first gear and reverse. Just get some practice in and you will be fine. It isn't hard to learn at all once you have a feel for the clutch.
I think he's talking about stalling it. Learning not to drop the clutch too early was the hardest part. But now, I forget that I'm driving stick shift.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Originally posted by: coolcatstrut
Originally posted by: slownfurious
I think he's talking about stalling it. Learning not to drop the clutch too early was the hardest part. But now, I forget that I'm driving stick shift.
Ya, I know that reverse (or any other gear for that matter) is no big deal when you know how to drive stick. But the hardest gears to learn when you are starting out are first gear and reverse because the others don't really take much talent. All you do is shift. In first and reverse you can stall the car though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah, I feel your pain. I've only driven a stick a few times, the first time I couldn't stop stalling the car out for like 10 min going into first. The second time was in a nice BMW convertable, I killed it at like 3 stop lights and people were not very patient w/ me! It was fun, but also embarassing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts