New Cougar Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The moment you've all been waiting for has finally arrived! I'm revealing my finished trunk mod that I just completed today. Now you can finally sleep at night :tongue: Tada!

I've been working all day so yeah it needs a little touching up but I'll do that later, especially trimming the black sidewalls so they're not all choppy. Overall it looks pretty nice. Oh and btw, my camera sucks and the colors don't like quiet like how it picked them up, especially with the flash. They're both blood red and almost no gloss.

Basically I cut the floor part of the side wall thingies off and wrapped the red velveteen cotton fabric around it in the exact shape of the curves that are there. Then I took the remaining side thingies and spray painted them black with one coat of Rustoleum flat black auto paint.

The back plastic guard I painted (thanks to suggestions here :biggrin:) with 2 coats of Rustoleum plastic spray paint cuz the store doesn't carry Krylon or Duplicolor anymore cuz they're asshats.

For the red floor fabric's adhesion to the side wall (floor section) material, I used Elmer's Ultimate glue then overlapping the edge I used iron on oak veneer...yes, veneer lol. It's flat and thin and already lined with adhesive so it worked perfectly. Then on the veneer to attach it to the metal turnk floor I used 3M VHB tape, the strongest two sided tape in existence, and a little Elmer's Ultimate in some spots.

On the inside by the tire well I used more VHB tape above the black tape, which is temperature proof vinyl electrical tape. It's rated safe to -0.4F to about 230F. Yeah it gets colder than that here but I think it'll be alright. It's extremely adhesive and will definitely hold between that and the VHB tape. I used more VHB tape by the seats too to hold it there.

For the cougar "door" I cut and ripped off the existing material on the wooden floor/door thing and reinforced it with some thick plywood. I attached the red velveteen cotton fabric to it with like 40 screws and washers every placed every few inches because I've seen furniture done that way. It worked fantastically. Then I cut out the cougar from synthetic fur fabric with like 1/4" hair. I used a printout and shadow stencil technique and fabric glued it on very, very carefully so all the edges are totally solid and won't rip up. I also painted the wood on the underside of it black so it doesn't look terrible when you lift it up.

I think that's about it :biggrin: The first picture is just my camera being retarded. The backs of the seats are light gray, not nearly that dark and they kinda stand out compared to everything else that's black. I think I might take them off and spray paint them black also but I dunno if that would look too bad with the top gray fuzz that I can't paint (go look at yours to see what I mean.) And I'm also working on putting new 12V colored lights, possible neons, on each side of the trunk on the open/close circuit where the stock one was connected.

You have to admit that for the first time I've ever done anything remotely like this, let alone in a car, it looks pretty awesome and is bursting with cougar pride :biggrin: The colors all look pretty sweet and match the rest of my car so I think all you haters out there will have an awfully hard time poking fun of it. That's not a challenge though, shut up if you're gonna post something mean.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
wow, all i got to say is wow. using elmer's glue and electrical tape to hold it together. in my opinion, sounds like it's another one of your cheap, half-asses mods. if you're going to put that kind of time and effort into this, why not use the proper tools and materials, so that it doesn't fall apart in 2 months? spending the little extra time now doing it right, saves a lot of time and effort in the longrun in repairs and rework.

it's a good idea, but w/ the red fabric, that doesn't really go with anything, and the huge size of the cougar head, it just looks a bit ricer to me. i know that yofavkracker (i think that's how u spell it) did something similar, but left the trunk pieces the same color and put a subtle cougar head on his. that little sublteness looks a lot better than going all out like this. now if te interior had the same red fabric all over, such as in the headliner and door panels, then it wouldn't look as bad, in my opinion.

really i'm not being a dick and dogging on the work. you just need to try to tie things together. that's what makes the mods look good when everything flows. just tossing anything you find in there and "making it work" is very ricer and cheapens the mods.

·
Registered
277 Posts
im pretty much with you cougarpimp. its like the definition of rice. it just looks like it took all of 5min to do. i mean, it still has wrinkles in it.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Unfortunately that glue will fail very soon. It's not meant for high-heat locations, such as in the hatch of a car...

E1

·
Christmas cutie
5,229 Posts
I don't even think it looks particularly attractive. You would have been better off spraying a red Cougar logo on the stock carpet than doing what you've done.

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
i can see that you put alot of effort into this, and to each their own, if you like the loud colors then thats your choice, i do agree on the use of materials, the previous owner of my mustang did lots of interior work with staples and glue and im sure it looked ok for a while but it was all falling apart when i got it and im gonna end up redoing the entire interior cause it looks like crap now. just because something has been tested to with-hold certain forces in a lab, doesnt mean that it will in real life over the test of time.

as for dealing with what you have, i think it would look better if you tried to pull the material of the cougar head as tight as possible, i think if it was tighter it would make it seem a bit more like it belonged there.

also, i understand that your young and that i dont use really proper sentences or grammar, but if you tried to avoid the word "thingy" you would probably get a little more credibility among the ppl here. try to find at least some sort of name for what your describing even if its not the right one.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Just FYI to you ... the Temp rating on electrical tape is a melt rating on the insulator of the tape. It has nothing to do with how long or at what temp the adhesive will hold.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
i dont like at all

in my opinion, if you didn't buy/do cheap junk mods, you could just save your cash to do sumthing... idk USEFUL to your car?

sounds like a PLAN TO ME!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
lol the title is "finished trunk mod" the in the post you say, it is not finished...it a good idea, but I would like to see some pics when its "finished"
I'm tired lol. I been working all day, that's why I just took some pics and was like whatever, I'll touch it up tomorrow :tongue: As for all of you that think blood red and black in that much of an area is a little much, it's actually not even enough. Haven't you seen full blown auto mods with high budgets? Real bad ass interior mods go all out and often use red and black EVERYWHERE. For example:

And my fav example...if you're gonna do blue and silver then do blue and silver!

oh and I'm not the first one to use red velveteen fabric and black synthetic fur

Yeah, you gotta have some serious balls to go all out with it but that's what sporty high end show cars do. If you don't believe me, go to Dropfest. Hondas are the ones with like one little bit of some awful, ugly bright neon color here and there and everything else is stock :tongue:

Oh and cougarpimp916, you must not do a lot of automotive work or modding. Elmer's Ultimate is the only brand of all purpose glue that Advance Auto parts and Autozone sells in store and they sell it for a reason. It's totally hardcore and everything proof and FFS it doesn't melt under any temperature. Oh and the temperature resistant tape says specifically on the package that those temperature ratings are for the adhesive degrading and the tape falling off. And VHB tape is also everything proof. They attached like 10,000 aluminim sheets to the outside of a huge building with VHB tape because it doesn't come undone in any temperatures or weather or air conditions or during earthquakes. I specifically picked out the strongest materials that exist on purpose. Trust me, that fabric isn't going anywhere. There is no stronger way humanly possible to attach it to my trunk that well without spending insane amounts of money. This is an unbelievably rugged and tough mod.

And since I just know someone's gonna post it here, YES "professionals" can still go too far with it like this here: (but I didn't)

·
w00t!
15,782 Posts
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
Haven't you seen full blown auto mods with high budgets? Real bad ass interior mods go all out and often use red and black EVERYWHERE.
You have no idea... and actually, it doesn't cost that much to do, it just takes some planning :)

unfortunately, "taste" is not something you can buy............obviously.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
desolator, electrical type was designed with an aspect to what it is being attached too. smooth metal and fabric were not but into one of the categories since it is so RARELY used in electrical applications. Those cars that you pointed out have been done with alot of hard work and consideration have made the colours work together to make a good looking interior. the idea that you had behind it was good but could have been done better,cleaner so that it blended in much better with the car.
btw the main reason people are constantly bashing your work is because you put little effort into having it done well and then you try to argue points with people who have been modding for a long time and have learned from experience in either car modding or in the field. another thing is ive noticed form the threads you have started they have always turned into a huge hatefest because you refuse to take to an understanding that when you post something you have done, you have put it up there for either a approval or to be ripped apart.
i have posted stuff in the past which have turned out to be dumb and have learned from the experience. why can't u just pick up on the hint, do it tastefully or dont do it all?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I'll just add that Red and Black works very well on black cars, and to a much lesser degree on red cars. Look up my dash if you want... I was planning to do much more red, including seats, etc, but thinking about it I realize that black would look much better and that I had almost enough red already.

I would say use the experience you got from this project and use proper glue and materials and cover your interior panels.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Wow, :goofy: That's a lot of red... I'm not going to bash you, seems like you get enough of that. I'm just going to say It does show a lot of pride in your cougar & that you really want to do stuff with it. It's your car & you should enjoy it. Just be ready for lots of people to tell you they hate it. But you could post your idea first & ask the best way of doing it, though you might get a lot of people saying not to do it... but you might get a few answers.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
It looks nice and comfy.. good a quick overnight nap on a long trip or something.

Would be a nice blanket but I don't know about it being in the dtrunk.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'd just like to point out that the last picture looks like a close up of a Sesame Street vagina
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

If you're happy with your car thats what counts. Personally, I like Yofavcracka's trunk mod better, but thats just an opinion.

And honestly, if you're changing the whole trunk to match, it's still not going to match the interior, so you probably want to paint some dash pieces red or black also.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.