New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just have a trubendz exhaust and i can drive pretty good...my friend who has a bright yellow 200(3/4) gti 6 speed. i think its an anniversary edition or something...pretty nice rims and red brake capilars.

also...i have another friend who just got an 04 glx jetta (the vr6 6 speed). whata ya think about this one?

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
VR6's are cool :thumbsup:, wouldn't mind having one myself. That's my opinion. I think you have a fair chance against them both, more than likely the gti's just pretty like my cougar. Just race em and see, it's the quickest, most sure and funnest way. Ya win some ya lose some. I dunno about that yellow though, it has to add at LEAST 25 ponies to the wheels.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
The VR6 will win for sure. Been there. Done that. Even with some mods. The 1.8?? Dunno... You'll probably win.

Massiv.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
lol, the VR6 will definately smoke you, I got smoked by one at full occupancy. Granted, my Cougar is a 2.5 ATX stocker, but it was like I was standing still. To my knowledge, the GTi's aren't really much to mock at, I've seen some mighty quick GTis around here. But then again, it comes down to the same old song and dance of not knowing what the other people have under their hoods, so for all I know, that VR6 was FAR from stock?

-Pat- -ReToM7-

·
Registered
69 Posts
If it is the new anniversary gti, then I dont know if you will win. I remember reading in a magazine somewhere that they were all wheel drive and have something like 225 horsepower. So I dont know how a cougar would stand against one of those, that is if we are thinking about the same car.

·
Registered
26 Posts
my fiance has a 98 1.8t passat. stock it only has like 150hsp but if you use the sport shifter on it, it can get up and go. It will probably beat an i-4 stock but a good race against a stock v-6. the gti's are suppose to be quicker so all i can say is good luck and hope you win....it will be a good race.

·
Banned
4,854 Posts
i thought the GTI's were turbo'd?

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
GTI 1.8T - 180 hp turbo
VR6 2.8L V6 - 200 hp (IIRC)

i have pretty much all bolt ons (headers are sitting on my bedroom floor awaiting install) and i am pretty much dead even with VR6's, keep in mind this is my experience with the drivers here in my town and when i come across a few at the track.

i steadily pull away (slowly) from 1.8T's, those things are faster than you think, i personally believe that turbo puts out more than 180hp

unless the guy cant drive, launch the car well and itll be close if its the 1.8T and expect to lose if its a VR6 (i cant tell which engine it has from ur description)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Originally posted by: Rosh
If it is the new anniversary gti, then I dont know if you will win. I remember reading in a magazine somewhere that they were all wheel drive and have something like 225 horsepower. So I dont know how a cougar would stand against one of those, that is if we are thinking about the same car.
thats the r32. um.....its coming over here in a year or something like that..looks like its gonna be nice

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i rode up to a pool tourniment i go to in severna park with my friend w/ the glx vr6 jetta, and that thing's fast as s***. The cool part is how quiet the engine is at the redline, you can bearly hear it as your sucked to the back of your seat. I think i'd beat him tho cause he cant drive at all. he's just learned how to drive a manual and decided teh best tequnique between shifting is to only let off the pedal half way which causes the engine to hit the rev limiter, then to let the clutch out easiely. Man i was cringing everytime he shifted gears. Can't imagine how long the clutch will last...

chris

·
Registered
440 Posts
Originally posted by: Faboo
Originally posted by: Rosh
thats the r32. um.....its coming over here in a year or something like that..looks like its gonna be nice
uMMM It's in dealers now and on the roads....

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
YUP! and at the track
R32

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well...i know this topic is kinda old now, however i did happen to race the yellow 1.8 gti 6 speed a couple days ago. we were pulled up to a 2 lane redlight that merges to 1 lane in about a quarter mile. It's about a mile right before my school, so its quite a commen place for racing. the only problem was he started in the left lane, and i was right behind him. i tried to get next to him, but the guy in the civic wouldnt let me over....guess he wanted to race him too (he thinks his car's fast s***...96ish teal civic ex w/ rims and exhaust.) annnyways i was behind him and he signald me he wanted to go....so when the light turned green we both took off him infront of me. well we left the civic like it was standing still, and i pulled into the right lane right next to him as i shifted into 3rd gear. we stayed dead even till the merge where i backed off because he had the right away and i wasnt trying to get pushed over to the median. ha..sorry for the long story, but even tho i dont know for sure i think i could beat him if we were lined up even.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
you could take both, the 1.8t has more power up top, the vr6 is faster off the line - but the VR6 ATX beats an VR6 MTX on the highway too... really weird.

before I got my fidanza flywheel, new clutch (old one was fried at this point) and my svt poly mount I beat a 1.8T.

Does the VR6 have mods?? My buddies MTX is amazingly fast in the 1/4 now, it's a 95 with 115k on it. I beat him senseless when he was stock, then he got exhuast and modified his stock airbox and he was beating me and not only me but my friend Chris as well in his RSX Type-S, which usually beats anything within our "class" of cars. I am about a car behind them with the flywheel and what not now. The Jetta only beats the RSX by a few feet.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My GTI has 180 stock before mods (I think they are lying though, it seems alot more than that) anyways I have a P-Flow intake and a full turbo back exhaust and it makes a big difference it power. I have come across alot of my former cougar brethren, and none of them have tried to race.... I don't know, I don't look for a race but when it comes my way I don't mind stretching my legs.....

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by: RoushCat
My GTI has 180 stock before mods (I think they are lying though, it seems alot more than that) anyways I have a P-Flow intake and a full turbo back exhaust and it makes a big difference it power. I have come across alot of my former cougar brethren, and none of them have tried to race.... I don't know, I don't look for a race but when it comes my way I don't mind stretching my legs.....

I was watching one of those new tuner shows on Speed channel the other day and they Dynoed a new 1.8T GTI MTX with an AEM cold air intake. It made 155fwhp. So I'd say the 180 is about right. After they burned the chip it made like 170 something and the torque was around 220.

K

·
0 Posts
I'm willing to bet you'de get beat by both......unless one of them is a really bad driver.
me too, my roommate has a 1.8gti and i have riden with him, he can hang with v8 camaros and gt mustangs until about 3rd gear. the gti with red caipers and rims is the 20th annoversary edition, they are quick!!

youll need more then a truebendz exhaust to hang with a gti.

S

·
0 Posts
Oh lord people, the 20th AE GTI's are basicly the same as the regular GTI 1.8Ts. The only differences are a 6 speed gearbox, 18'' oz aristo wheels, SE recaro racing seats, a lip kit bodykit and there a few hundred pounds heavier. Alot of people misjudge the turbo on the 1.8Ts, the turbo kicks in at low rpms and they still have a good top end speed. I have a 02 GTI 1.8T with a big bore intake, MAF from a VR6, neudpeed inlet pipe, ghl turbo back exhaust and a GIAC chip. I run mid 13s. It all depends on what you have with a cougar tho.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts