New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to quiet down your car without decreasing performance?
I have headers, hollowed out converter..oops i mean "high flow converter" he he and custom exhaust thats identical to yodude, with a dynomax muffler. This sometimes is a problem because i want to be able to listen to my radio at a normal level. Is there any material i could use to wrap around the piping, or thicker pipes?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Hi temp paint the pipes, headers, y pipe. Put dynomat under carpet. Get louder stereo.

·
Registered
161 Posts
headers and y pipe make it louder dont they? the dyno mat would work (= turning up the radio too, but painting the pipes def make it more quiet

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
You know, those straight-through dynomax Ultraflow mufflers basically flow as well as straight pipe, but still do a decent job of muffling. I would just weld in two where the resonator was, and one at each tip.

Ditto to the comments about paint and dynomat.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
In addition to what others have said, perhaps swapping your current tips out for a set of resonated tips may help. I'm not sure how much they actually muffle the sound, but I've been told it DOES make a difference. So doing that, in conjunction with painting the exhaust and Dynomat, might want to try that.

But personally, after hearing your car and driving behind it on Saturday... That ***** sounds MEAN!!!

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
dynomat the **** out of your car... rip out the rear seast, carpet and trunk liner and start dynomating... get the actual roll and the spray stuff, put the mat where you can and use it and spray in the hard to reach areas... you're gonna have to do the entire floor of the car, although i would concentrate on just below the cabin area first.... also painting the exhaust will help to.

oh and get louder stereo

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
the dynomat will, but what else are you going to do?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I've been experimenting with carpet pad and fiberglass insulation...

The fiberglass works very well inside the doors and trunk lining, but it's thick and bulky. It also makes my hands all itchy and nasty.

Carpet pad should be thin enough to slide under the carpet though. The factory sound proofing looks like thin dense carpet padding of some sort...

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
stereo shops... there are other brands besides dynomat and i would suggest thoses ones as dynomat is a name you pay for.... do a search on the net for sound deadening materials and you'll come up with plenty of relevant hits

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I think I'm in the same boat with you deadpurple. Just got my headers on last week, and the only thing (besides the cat) that controls my exhaust is two resonated tips from my dual Borla. I can agree with the rest of you guys that say it sounds cool, but it's kinda hard to live with 100 percent of the time. I think I'm gonna have my shop weld in a glasspack behind the cat, where it currently has a straight pipe. I'll let you know how it goes.

I still have a 'favorite' zone on my current setup. If I ride a gear at 2k rpm, it sounds like a diesel train, something around 45Hz and loud as h**l. My JL 12" sub can barely keep up

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, i fixed some of the problem. My muffler was rubbing up againts the inside of my car causing a loud ratteling noise and all sorts of resonace. I had that fixed today and my car sounds a whole lot better and a little quieter. I think it sounds great now, its just sometimes in a blue moon, I miss the luxurious part of it and be able to drive in silence. What was weird about it is that bcause the muffler was hitting the side of the car, it was causing noise in places that sounded like it was comming from the engine and the headers etc. I thought I had about 3 things wrong with the car in actuality it was one manute thing that took 30 seconds to fix. That is one thing ive noticed about the cougar. Every time something is making noise inside the car it has this ventriloquist effect where it sound slike its comming from somewhere else. There were some pins ratteling in the door pocket that I could have sworn was comming from inside the air conditioning. I had about 4 episodes of this. Has anyone else noticed this effect?

G

·
Totally know where your coming from!!!! WHen i took my yodude off to sell my mods, i got in and it was so quiet with my stock exhaust. I love it. I didn't realize what i had before. I would just go with headers and an intake if i had to do it all over again, or just get a very quiet Dual exhaust system. I loved it when i first got it for like 2 or 3 weeks, but then i got tired of cranking my radio up, i had 3 amps going at once probably a totoal of 1500watts altogether and i could still hear the yodude!!!!!!!!! I know what Deadpurple is saying where sometimes you just want to set your radio to like 2 or 3 instead of 30-35, when your tired in the morning going to work or school and you just want a peaceful ride, and all you get is RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! God, my new Mustang isn't even close to as loud as my Cougar, it's perfect because the only time it's really loud is when i'm racing. Otherwise i get the famous very low Mustang v8 growl, which is the best exhaust tone there is. God i'm lucky

G

·
Just had a Borla split installed. Didn't want LOUD. Don't have loud with Borla. Wanted the classice Mustang GT rumble. When the car is idling and I crouch down at the tips, I hear a nice low rumbling. What would you suggest I do to get the classic V8 sound? Should I remove the resonators?

G

·
Heres a really good way to get that mustang v8 low growl, Buy a mustang Gt.
Its a 2.5 lt v6 what do you expect. but if you want it to sound tough get a hi flow cat and headers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.