New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i've had the aussie headlights in my car since june and ever since then i can't figure out how to make them so they don't aim to the right and shine on coming cars, people flash there brights at me all the time, i read all the how to's on it put still can't figure it out, can someone tell me how to fix it in layman's terms? as you can see in the picture the drivers side headlights vears to the left, i got the right one perfect but that left one is giving me trouble:banghead: and i've noticed that the passenger side headlight gives of a yellow color beam when shined on the garage door as if the bulb is crooked or something!

·
Registered
263 Posts
The lights are setup as a RHD, Right Hand Driver, vehicle. To switch them you need to do the following:

1.) Remove the headlight
2.) Take the backing off the headlight
3.) On the bottom of the low beam housing you should see a metal tab piece. If you don't then you will need to do more steps to get this corrected. If you have a metal tab piece you need to slide it the only direction it will slide.
4.) Put the backing back on and close light
5.) Install headlight back in car
6.) Repeat for other side of car

That metal piece will switch the low beam light from being a RHD light to a LHD light. It basically raises a small piece of metal to block the light from refracting upward to the left after it gets projected. Once you are done, that slight incline should now be on the right instead of the left.

Just an observation, it looks like your lights are actually pointing to the left of the car, from the way the car is positioned and the direction the light is going to end up being at 15 feet away. I'd also suggest adjusting the light to point a little inward from straight to help with reduced glare on the left hand side of the car. Keep the right pointed straight out though. The lights themselves should be positioned to point about 15-20 feet in front of the car and that point will be the focal point of the lights.

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and also the driver side headlamb makes the headlight beam looks yellow when shined on the garage door, cold the headlamp be messed up? and you also notice in the picture that the passenger side headlight is a light blue color as the drivers side isn't

·
Registered
263 Posts
The tab needs to be moved. The housing doesn't really give a good signification as to which way the tab has to be for LHD and RHD, but if one way isn't correct, then the other direction has to be correct.

I'm assuming that you are talking about the color at the top of the light being yellow on the drivers side and then blue on the passenger side? If you are, this has to do with the propers of light refraction. Basically, the light is getting projected 100% to the outside from the bulb. After that it hits a piece of metal that covers 50% of the light on the bottom side of the housing. Then the light is refracted so that the light on the top side is projected downward and the light that might emit from the bottom side of the housing is projected upward. Right at the end of the light right before the light retractor, you should see a small piece of metal that sticks up about an inch. This piece of metal is making what light is visible at this point back towards that piece of metal that blocks 50% of the light. The difference between yellow and blue is the light itself is blue. So when the light bounces back, it hits the solid piece of metal, which is silver and acts just like a mirror and you get blue light. With the small piece on the drivers side sitting down, the light is bouncing off of it, which is gold in color and making the light appear yellowish in color.

Yes it is very confusing to understand the direction the light is going and how it is bouncing around in the housing, but basically, the light is yellowish because of that stupid little tab.

·
Registered
263 Posts
When you move the tabs on both lights, they will switch colors.

The first explanation I gave would have been true, but the light doesn't change colors on refraction through the retractor in housing. I was thinking of when I took my lights apart to remove that little metal piece that blocks the light from being fully projected. I do not advise you do this, unless you spend a good long period of time getting the lights pointed in the right direction to not shine in other drivers eyes.

For those that read this and feel they are being robbed by Bosch on light projection and remove that tab, you need to MAKE SURE you point your headlights at a 10-15 foot distance from the car and that the left light is at least 5 degrees inward from the left of the car. Otherwise you WILL be blinding other drivers on the road.

You can leave the tabs as they are, if you just point the light a little more inward from the outside of the car for the drivers side. The most given reason why you are blinding drivers is because they are pointed to high and to far outward of the car.

I know the way people say that you should setup your lights is to point them at a wall or something with a line on it and then point them at that line. I'd rather think this would be good if you are aiming halogen lights. When using anything else you need to go to an empty parking lot with no lights on and just turn the lights on and go adjust them. After you do some adjustments, close the hood down and walk behind the car. Stand behind the light and look to see where it is pointed and how far out it is pointing from the car. Then after you get them where you think that they are in the right position; go out to the drivers side of the car about 30 feet away and walk towards the car as if someone was going to drive right past you going the other way. If at any point the light seems to be brighter than any other point, then you have the lights pointing in the wrong direction. Do the walk again bending over between 3 to 5 feet off the ground. This would give you a better idea of where someone would actually be sitting when they drove past you.

This is basically what I do every time I remove the headlights from the car or do any adjustments with them. Since each replacement is not in the prime position.

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
You should have waited a few months and got the LHD aussies. :tongue:

Any way the little tab is the trick to getting the cutoff down level with the horizon, you cannot switch them to LHD unfortuneatley.

BTW you need to get those things aimed up higher. You have to adjust them up/down first, then do the left/right adjustment. If you are unable to adjust them up or down then you adjusted them improperly from the start. Turn them so the projector is centered in the housing opening and not hitting anywhere around the edges. Then adjust properly from there.

As far as the color goes, when they are adjusted properly they will both be WHITE and just above the cutoff will appear purple/yellow/red to oncoming drivers. The Euros/Aussies have much better optics in them and The EAO regulations are a bit more Lax to color output on projector lamps than here in the USA.

BTW I just got my NEW LHD Euros yesterday. Had to wait since June but it was worth it. The beams point to the correct side of the road and light up signs and the white lines.

If anyone would like me to get you a set of LHD Euros 99/00 stlyle for ~$385 SHIPPED PM me.

Oh, the "Don" has spoken

[/End Thread]

·
Banned
5,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
andrew can you get the 01-02 aussies in LHD? anyway andrew i'll have you check out my headlights if you are going to hooters for the meet, the beams look low in the picture because i was really close and in front of the garage door is a cement thing for the fire trucks to get in, i'll get another picture up tomorrow night on a garage door at 25 feet away

·
Premium Member
3,292 Posts
andrew can you get the 01-02 aussies in LHD? anyway andrew i'll have you check out my headlights if you are going to hooters for the meet, the beams look low in the picture because i was really close and in front of the garage door is a cement thing for the fire trucks to get in, i'll get another picture up tomorrow night on a garage door at 25 feet away
They HAD LHD Aussies, Unfortuneatley Bill J hoarded them all from Ford and most were broken in shipment. They have been discontinued since there were almost Zero LHD 01-02 Cougars Exported.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Heh, i ordered a pair of aussie lights from bill jenkins the other week and i dont know if theyre left or right hand side but i folded down the half-circle piece of metal inside the lowbeams as far as i could by reaching in from the back with a screwdriver. this made them a bit brighter. also i removed the horizontal small piece of metal that sat inside both lowbeam housings, im not even sure what they were for (the lefthand/righthand adjusters you guys mentioned?). i even stripped the cable running to the brights and connected the cable running to the small unused secondary bulbs inside the brights housing. those are also slightly brighter now. i dont even care if these mods i did were legal or not, all cougar lights are generally not bright enough to start with. no one has flashed me so far.

the only problem i seem to have in adjusting the bulbs is the left light. it points a little too far to the left, and im turning on the screw which adjusts it to the right but its either worn off because its made of plastic, or i reached the limit on turning it to the right. basically the right lamp ive got pointed straight ahead in front of the car and the left light is maybe 1-2 feet off to the left when its hitting a wall 30 feet out. it doesnt bother oncoming traffic at night, but i wish i could get it pointing straight ahead so it would light up the road 50+ feet away, instead of the edge of the road like it is now. i love how the aussie version of the brights are not adjusting bulbs like the US version because that way they both point directly ahead without any adjustment needed. only the lowbeams on the aussies need to be adjusted.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Heh, i ordered a pair of aussie lights from bill jenkins the other week and i dont know if theyre left or right hand side but i folded down the half-circle piece of metal inside the lowbeams as far as i could by reaching in from the back with a screwdriver. this made them a bit brighter. also i removed the horizontal small piece of metal that sat inside both lowbeam housings, im not even sure what they were for (the lefthand/righthand adjusters you guys mentioned?). i even stripped the cable running to the brights and connected the cable running to the small unused secondary bulbs inside the brights housing. those are also slightly brighter now. i dont even care if these mods i did were legal or not, all cougar lights are generally not bright enough to start with. no one has flashed me so far.

the only problem i seem to have in adjusting the bulbs is the left light. it points a little too far to the left, and im turning on the screw which adjusts it to the right but its either worn off because its made of plastic, or i reached the limit on turning it to the right. basically the right lamp ive got pointed straight ahead in front of the car and the left light is maybe 1-2 feet off to the left when its hitting a wall 30 feet out. it doesnt bother oncoming traffic at night, but i wish i could get it pointing straight ahead so it would light up the road 50+ feet away, instead of the edge of the road like it is now. i love how the aussie version of the brights are not adjusting bulbs like the US version because that way they both point directly ahead without any adjustment needed. only the lowbeams on the aussies need to be adjusted.
You probably need to do a simple up/down adjustment to be able to get it to turn right. I had the same problem and just did a half turn up and then a half turn down to put it back in the same place and then it would move to the right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts