New Cougar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2 years of having my headlights dim, my alternator has finally died! Last night, when I was driving home from work my headlights and dash lights would be barely on at idle - then go back to normal when I hit the gas. I figured the alternator was going and went straight home. Today it wouldn't even start - and I had to have it towed to the dealership! Thank god for extended warranties. I have a $100 deductable and they are going to pay for the rest - including the tow! It kinda sucks that I am without a car until Monday, but at least it's getting fixed! One quick question for you guys though... Obviously the mechanic is going to open the hood, and in doing so will notice that the battery isn't there because I have put a GMK intake in it's spot and relocated it to the trunk right next to my nitrous bottle. So you see my worries? Right off the bat they are going to see a relocated battery, nitrous, and intake. Do you think I'll have any problems with the warranty? Last time my car was in service they didn't say anything, but I was there for a wheel bearing. Can they blame the bad alternator on the battery relocation or my performance parts?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I dont think they can prove that it was caused by the battery relocation, but they can say the system cause extra stress on it.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't even think of that! now I have something else to worry about! I think I might have an argument on that one though... They amp I have hooked up to it is 50 watts to 4 channels and 100 watts to 1 channel. I doubt that it killed the alternator! So, say that they tell me that they wont cover it... Do they note it in an account or something? Or can I just take the car home, uninstall everything, and bring it to a different dealership?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
If you bring it to another dealer within a day or so, you should be fine. The only real way I can see it being noted is on an oasis, which shows all dealer transactions. If you were to bring it somewhere and they deny your warranty claim, the tech will most likely write it in his story, which can show up in an oasis. But typically it takes a few days at least for anything to show up.

In other words, if you are denied, take it to another dealer as soon as you can. It would be very petty of a tech to deny your claim....but then again, they HATE doing alts on our cars. It is a PITA to do, and warranty pays crap.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts