New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today in my Auto Mechanics class I decided to install my rstb. Before I even drilled a hole I ran into a problem. The part number on the crossbars were wrong. Here is what it says in the How- To:Top Left -> Bottom Right Cross bar: C46812 AA Top Right -> Bottom Left Cross bar: C46812 AB. The only way we could get the thing together was to do it the opposite way. I tried for at least a hour to put the bars together like the how- to said to. Now I only have it half way installed and I will continue in the morning. With only the top bar in I can feel the difference.
:biggrin:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If my camera works I will try to get pictures. It just seems that who ever put the caps on the end of the crossbar pipes mixed them up.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm glad I am not the only one who experienced this. I got it installed today. My friend broke one of the bolts, but no biggie. If I could do it all over I would have never drilled the forward holes on the bottom plate. I think the rstb is sturdy enough without those two brackets. I still have to install a rstb on my friend's car. Does anyone have any good suggestions for installing the forward brackets under the car?:banghead:

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
use a coat hanger

·
T3/T4 60-1
8,015 Posts
a powerful magnet wand would also help too (thoses things you use to get the dropped bolts in engine bays and stuff)

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Originally posted by: PuckPuck
use a coat hanger
DON'T use a coat hanger...my buddy and i tried to use one but it kept bending and pulling through the holes and just made the experience a massive pain in the ass. I ended up just squeezing my hands in the areas as best as i could. That magnet wand idea is even better, wish we would of thought of that at the time.

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
Originally posted by: PuckPuck
a powerful magnet wand would also help too (thoses things you use to get the dropped bolts in engine bays and stuff)
OOh.. Good idea!

·
Premium Member
2,810 Posts
exactly.. you could stick it right up to the body of the car, and it'll hold itself there! then you just toss a bracket up in the wheel well, and it sticks right to the body!

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I used a coat hanger when I installed the floor brackets on my friend's rstb. The left bracket took two minutes to get in after we dropped the swaybar. The right lower bracket took about 15 minutes to maneuver into place. In total we installed his rstb in 1 hour. Thanks for the help.

Another thing we noticed is the top bar gives you the illusion that it isn't level. Just to be certain I checked it with my level and the bubble was exactly in the middle.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Originally posted by: mont
I used a coat hanger when I installed the floor brackets on my friend's rstb. The left bracket took two minutes to get in after we dropped the swaybar. The right lower bracket took about 15 minutes to maneuver into place. In total we installed his rstb in 1 hour. Thanks for the help.

Another thing we noticed is the top bar gives you the illusion that it isn't level. Just to be certain I checked it with my level and the bubble was exactly in the middle.
Was the car on a level surface :)

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, the car was on a level surface.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.