New Cougar Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The outer casing of my headlights looks cloudy, but its not fading plastic its the refracted light from 100,000 microscopic cracks all over the place. What causes this? Are 00's any better by any chance? Can this be remedied?

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
try some meguires scratch X, that stuff worked wonders on my emblem when i modded it

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Search eBay and replace them, that is what I did. After replacing them, I tried EVERYTHING to see if I could fix my old ones. Nothing worked, because the "cracks" are embedded in the plastic and nothing can actually get to them.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Yup Yup . . . I just bought new ones . . . but i have heard that you can wet sand them down with a really fine grain sandpaper . . . then you wash them off . . . wet sand again . . . then coat them with some plastic polish . . .

-Josh

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
If you have surface cracks that will work, but the common spider cracks are imbedded and won't "sand" off. I tried that tecnique and it shined them up nicely, but the spider cracks were still there.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeh definatly spider cracks... when i bought the car they were crystal clear, every time i washed the car they were clear again and they alone improved the look of the whole car, now theyre almost muddy no matter what i do, and this happened over 14 months.

bah.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Mine looked like poo as well, then I opened them up to paint them, and in the process I wet sanded them down, washed it, wet sanded again and then polished it with wax for a long ass time. Everytime I wash my car, I polish. Running backless will also help in unneccesary buildup. I thought I had given up on my headlights, but I love them now.

This is the best pic I have of them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.